Skilled labourers are industry professionals that have a combination of construction experience, specialized certifications, and training. Working under tradespeople or a supervisor, Skilled Labourers will often direct a smaller labour force to meet site needs or assist with more technically demanding work on the project. All Ventana labourers also lead by example, showing outside labour, trade contractors, and even trades-people how to work safely, cleanly, and consistently on our projects.
Skilled Labourers must:
- Arrive ready to work each day with the appropriate PPE and gear for the elements
- Listen to their direct supervisor and prioritize tasks to suit the needs explained
- Keep their direct supervisor up to date on the progress of the work assigned
- Keep a clean and organized work area
- Have a good understanding of tools and materials on-site, including proper use and maintenance
- Report any damage or poor workmanship to their direct supervisor
- Follow all site and Worksafe BC safety guidelines
- Understand the safety requirements of the ‘Worker' and site regulations affecting their work
- Complete and follow a proper hazard assessment prior to construction or demolition activities
- Report all injuries to the OFA immediately
- Report all incidents to their direct supervisor as soon as possible
- Report concerns from the site to their direct supervisor (Horseplay, potential falls, harassment, etc.)
- Report public or client concerns to their direct supervisor immediately
- Present a positive image, including communication on-site, off-site, and on social media, personal presentation – proper Ventana gear, and personal grooming.
- Provide mentorship and guidance on site to workers new to construction and Ventana labourers
Position deliverables include but not limited to:
- Generally, Skilled Labourers have a minimum of 4 years of experience in the construction industry, and or a combination of training and experience making them able to perform specialized tasks or operations on site.
- Solid understanding of construction processes and should be able, with minimal direction, to complete their assigned tasks on the project and even direct others.
- Maintain and complete basic repairs to tools and equipment as well as operate more complex equipment like generators, compactors, and compressors.
- Often, skilled labourers have the training to operate mobile equipment, hoists, or other specialized industry certifications, making them uniquely qualified for the required work
Why we think you'll like working here:
- Set up work areas ready for tradespeople in advance
- Maintain tools and equipment (coordinate w/ supervisor if replacement or service required)
- Set up and operate equipment on-site as qualified and directed
- Set up scaffolding and ensure safe for use
- Operate mobile equipment as qualified and directed
- Traffic Control – if certifications are in place and current
- Minor Carpentry Duties
- Material Preparation – Cutting, treating, assembling, etc.
- Working with heavy equipment – Spotting, shooting elevations
- Hoarding and Guardrails
- Minor reinforcing
- Deficiency items
- Quality tracking as directed and trained on-site
- Receiving/unloading deliveries
- Infill duties as a Hoist Operator or OFA with proper training and experience
- Grinding, cutting, or chipping steel and concrete as required
- Providing guidance to workers when asked to do so by the supervisor on site
- Assisting the site team wherever their experience allows them to do so
- Competitive vacation, salary plus potential bonus & profit sharing
- Matching RRSP
- Extended benefits, Employee Assistance Program, life insurance, AD&D, LTD, CI
- Professional development support
- Lunch provided once per month
- We get together often for company-wide social events
- COR certified
Ventana is a full-service construction partner. Our goal is to deliver the best building and the best service possible for our clients. Our tag line, “Relationships to build on” is a philosophy that we truly believe in and we encourage our team to practice every day. Building and maintaining strong relationships is vital to our success.
Ventana typically has 20-25 projects under construction at any given time, and we build a variety of projects including multi-family residential, commercial, industrial, institutional, civic, and green buildings – LEED® certified. Being a part of Ventana means working on a variety of interesting projects including breweries and recreation complexes, working with a supportive team, and being proud to say “we built that”.