Inside Sales Representative
Reference Number: CAN-MB-WPG-008-080119
Founded in 1989, CanWel is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CWX, and is Canada’s only fully integrated national distributor in the building materials and related products sector.
CanWel operates multiple treating plants and planing facilities in Canada and the United States, and operates distribution centres coast to coast in all major cities and strategic locations across Canada, and near San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. CanWel distributes a wide range of building materials, lumber, and renovation products. In addition, through its CanWel Fibre division, CanWel operates a vertically-integrated forest products company based in Western Canada, operating from British Columbia to Saskatchewan, also servicing the US Pacific Northwest. CanWel owns approximately 136,000 acres of private timberlands, strategic Crown licenses and tenures, log harvesting and trucking operations, several post and pole peeling facilities, and two pressure-treated specialty wood production plants.
CanWel’s sales force is comprised of Inside Sales Representatives, Commodity Traders, and Account Managers.
As the Inside Sales Representative (ISR) is one of three key customer facing positions, the ISR plays a primary role in creating the first impressions for excellent customer service and laying the ground work for a successful order by ensuring order accuracy, verifying order details with the customer, efficiently entering the orders in the system, and relaying vital information to operations team members. The ISR also has the ability to increase sales revenue, order by order, by utilizing CanWel’s 4A Customer Conversation model.
The Inside Sales Representative takes on a generalist function and is comfortable selling engineered wood products, siding, decking, railing, as well as all other building material product lines. Our customers range in size from small independent lumber yards, to regional building material dealers, national home improvement chains, and industrial and OEM customers.
Depending on the branch, the ISR position will report to the General Manager, Branch Manager, or Inside Sales Supervisor.
Along with the Account Managers / Sales Specialists and Commodity Traders, the ISRs maintain and grow existing customer relationships.
Inbound Calls and Sales Orders
- Promptly answer customer phone calls for orders, quotes, and inquiries.
- Utilize CanWel’s 4A Customer Conversation model to determine customer requirements and secure the maximum invoice value for the order.
- Sell additional products by recognizing opportunities to up-sell or sell complementary products.
- Answer inquiries by clarifying desired information; researching, locating, and providing information.
- Enter orders efficiently and accurately into the order system.
- Relay vital information to operations team members.
- Prompt and accurate handling of credits and returns.
- In some regions, partner with Account Managers to manage customer relationships.
- Promptly and professionally resolve problems by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions; escalating unresolved problems.
Outbound Phone Calls
- Utilize call planning process to place outbound phone calls to customers to promote and sell CanWel products and sell promotion programs.
- Use CRM to record follow up calls.
- Purposes of outbound calls are to fill delivery trucks, follow up on orders, offer sales promotions, and manage “C” accounts. Every opportunity to be used to increase the dollar value of an order.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent customer service skills on the phone
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer needs
- Comfortable with conducting outbound phone calls to existing customers
- Able to quickly learn technical information specific to the building industry
- Working knowledge of wood frame residential construction is an asset
- Very comfortable with Excel, Word, and Outlook; good keyboarding skills and computer skills
- Aptitude for numerical calculations
- Excellent English communication skills at a capacity to influence sales over the phone
- High school graduation is a requirement
- Formal sales training is desirable
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Base salary and team performance incentive plan (no commissioned sales)
- Group pension plan
- Health benefits
Employment Status: Monday to Friday, full-time, year round
Work Location: 350 De Baets Street, Winnipeg, MB R2J 0H4. This location is accessible by public transit.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the Company reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned; and should not be construed as a position change or constructive dismissal.
CanWel welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- CRM: 1 year (Required)
- Customer Service: 2 years (Required)
- Microsoft Office: 2 years (Required)
- inbound and outbound sales: 2 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)