Central Okanagan Heritage Society
Vision Statement - The Central Okanagan Heritage Society supports a community where all forms of heritage are respected and valued.
Mission Statement - The Central Okanagan Heritage Society promotes conservation of the diverse heritage buildings and sites of the Central Okanagan through stewardship, education and collaboration for the benefit of current and future generations.
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
DATE: September 4, 2023
In accordance with established vision and mission of the Central Okanagan Heritage Society (COHS), a non-profit society, the Administrative Assistant provides a variety of office and administrative duties in the operation of COHS.
This is a four day a week, part time hourly position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Office and Administration Duties
- Assists with general office duties, including answering the telephone when working in the office, general reception and email correspondence.
- Assists with maintaining the database/spreadsheet of COHS membership and send out renewal information when required.
- Assists with the production and publication of the COHS newsletter. This is produced at minimum semi-annually.
- Assist with distribution of communications to society members, external agencies, stakeholders and the public at large.
- Create posters, constant contact emails and social media postings for events, AGM, etc.
- Provide information from Heritage BC to board members, COHS membership and members of the public as required.
- Provide assistance for events, that may include picking up and delivering materials, event set up, etc.
- Assist the Managing Director in various administrative functions. This may include:
- Assist the Managing Director in the final preparation of board materials, and presentation materials. (i.e. photocopying, collating, etc.)
- Update the web site as required, under the direction of the Managing Director and heritage planner as required; help is available from our web contractor when needed.
- Assist the Heritage Planner in various administrative functions. This may include:
- Assist the heritage planner with the final preparation of the committee packages. Assist with public communications on the City of Kelowna Heritage Grants Program at the direction of the Heritage Planner.
· Banking – twice a month minimum
· Processing and tracking payments by renters against their Rental Agreements.
· Reviewing and saving supplier and contractor invoices to Dropbox for bookkeeper. Setting up payments for processing by the Managing Director (e-transfers, online, cheque, credit card)
3. Rental management of Reid Hall and Benvoulin Church
This relates primarily to event rentals at Reid Hall and Benvoulin Church; it does not include rental of McIver House, which is on the same property, or McDougall House. Assist in the event rental of the above properties, this may include:
- Assist in all forms of advertising of these properties, including updates to the website and to the online calendar.
- Updating materials for rentals- as needed, including contract template, materials for renters, etc.
- Answers inquiries regarding these properties from interested renters and manage the booking system.
- Showing properties to potential renters, and/or arranging for viewing with onsite caretaker.
- Taking payments as required; posting to Dropbox for bookkeeper
- Follow-up after rentals- as necessary- checking with site caretaker that all is in order after the event and returning damage deposits.
4. Annual Heritage Awards
- Assist with the annual Heritage Week event including the heritage awards event (Heritage Planner does most), This will include:
- Working with the board committee that oversees this work. This may include: Coordinates the volunteer committee for the annual heritage awards for the Central Okanagan.
- Assisting with advertising this event throughout the year
- Manage a database/spreadsheet of all recipients of the various award categories.
- Receive nominations throughout the year and assist in preparing all relevant background material and organizing awards committee for review of properties / candidates.
- Order plaques and arrange for photos of award winners
5. Other Duties/Special projects
- Assists with organization of workshops throughout the year that relate to conservation / preservation of heritage assets.
- Register COHS for various education / webinars provided by Heritage BC and other agencies and extends the invitation to board members and interest ted members.
6. Perform other related duties as assigned
WORK SCHEDULE & LOCATION:
Office hours: 9:00am – 2:00pm; approximately 20 hours/week
Office location: #403-1630 Pandosy Ave, Kelowna, BC
Education, Training and Experience:
- Grade 12 graduation and/or graduation from an Administrative Assistant program or equivalent experience.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with heritage programs an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well and effectively with team members, COHS board members and the public.
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks and work independently.
- Flexibility in workweek, as some evening work may be required.
- Requires a valid BC drivers license and access to a vehicle on occasion, in order to show the properties at Benvoulin Park
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
COMPENSATION: $22 to $23/hour depending on experience
Please send your resumes to: [email protected]
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: $21.00-$23.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Administrative experience: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-02