Silver Hills (https://silverhillsbakery.ca/) started in 1989 with a mission to Empower, Educate, and Inspire People to Live Healthier Lives. We believe investing in your own health is the greatest gift you can give someone because when you are healthy, you will have more to share.
Joining our family means being part of a quickly growing community that is truly committed to delivering healthy, great tasting products that are made with care. The Silver Hills team gives you the opportunity to grow and contribute to a healthy and sustainable vision. If you are excited by the idea of sharing your passion for healthy and delicious food with like-minded individuals and bringing great tasting products to consumers across North America and beyond, we want to hear from you!
Silver Hills, manufacturer and marketer of Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery, Little Northern Bakehouse, and One Degree Organic Foods is looking for a Director of Research & Development to join the team. This is a full-time opportunity located in Abbotsford, BC.
Who are we looking for?
Drive & Motivation
- You are passionate about R&D and enjoy tackling challenges with renewed energy and purpose
- You are health conscious and understand the value of healthy eating and organic food
- You want to join a progressive company and apply your skills in a meaningful way
Character & Abilities
- You are a food science fanatic who enjoys being on the cutting edge of food science and technology
- You are a strategic thinker who is meticulous, analytical, detailed, and resourceful with their craft
- You are a strong people leader who can build and nurture long-lasting partnerships within the team
- You are a clear and persuasive communicator who works well with different personalities
- You are highly versatile and able to handle tasks with urgency, efficiency, and accuracy
- You are able to coach and develop a high performing team
- You are able to adapt to the changing context and evolving environment effectively
Knowledge & Skills
- You have an advanced understanding of the baking techniques and key scientific principles associated with food systems, ingredient and ingredient/process interactions
- You have advanced working knowledge of R&D development commercialization and revel in bringing products to the market
- You have expert knowledge of the structure and chemistry of food and standard food production processes
- You understand formulations and how to manipulate formulas to derive data
- You have strong knowledge of HACCP, quality assurance and control
- You understand food microbiology principles, typical spoilage organisms, and control strategies
- You have solid computer skills including MS Office Suite
- You are skilled at developing and managing budgets and reporting on key metrics
- You have 10+ years of relevant industry experience, preferably in baking
- You have a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Food Science or a related field or have a Red Seal/Master Baker certification
- You have experience leading and developing a team of direct reports
- You have experience solving technical issues for an industrial bread bakery
- Experience/education in Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma
Things you will do...
- Lead in the commercialization of new product concepts developed by the innovation team as directed by the CMO
- Partner with marketing to commercialize line or recipe extensions, slice or weight changes, claim enhancement
- Lead the team to deeply understand and document the production processes and solve product quality related issues for sprouted and gluten-free baking across all products
- Develop process parameters and monitor for change requirements
- Oversee the review, testing, and approval for the purchase of new functional baking ingredients to ensure high quality production and cost containment through the entire production process
- Champion and report on trends in baking science and ingredients including recommendations on potential implementation opportunities for the business
- Develop and manage annual R&D budget
- Lead, coach and further develop a stellar R&D team
- May on occasion work evenings and weekends to accommodate production testing
Why join us?
We offer our team members many benefits to help them achieve their goals and support our company culture:
- Opportunities for career growth and development
- Competitive Healthcare Benefits Package
- Profit Sharing and RRSP Matching
- Free delicious and healthy bread
- Fresh organic fruit delivered weekly
- Fitness incentive fund to help you thrive
- Friendly and supportive work environment and an ambitious team
- Discounts at our retail store with a great selection of healthy organic products
- Company social events focused around health, great tasting food and getting together as a team
How to apply
If you are interested in a position that will be a contributing part of something very new and exciting, please apply on our career page (https://silverhillsbakery.ca/careers/). Here is a direct link to the job:
Want to learn more about our mission and products? Please check us out on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Silver Hills is an inclusive employer and a firm believer of equal opportunity! We will make sure to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. Therefore, we encourage all qualifying candidates to apply and we look forward to reviewing your application!
Job Type: Full-time