Assures all nutritional, housing, grooming and medical needs are met on a daily basis according to approved processes. Is responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people. Provides humane handling and care for all shelter animals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals (cleaning of the holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and basic grooming). Provides humane handling and restraining techniques.
- Observes animals for signs of illnesses or injuries and reports symptoms to the appropriate personnel. Administers medications and assists as required by restraining animals, grooming, health checks, flea treatments and administering parasite control.
- Performs continual maintenance duties that include repairs and upkeep. Cleans all equipment and work areas to maintain the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Follows health and safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behavior
- Other related duties as required.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
- Demonstrates animal control knowledge, including proper restraining techniques. Knowledge of animal behaviors, and basic obedience training methods.
- Ability to identify species, breeds, age and sex of animals.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify different medications and methods of administration.
- Ability to perform sanitation procedures and general maintenance.
- Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, volunteers and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employees must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends will be required.
- A valid drivers license is required. (not accessible by bus route)
- Working conditions include working alone, working outside in varying weather conditions, frequent interruptions, and some meetings.
- Requires frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift.
Hours of Work
**This temporary position is for an 8-week grant. (applicants must be between the ages of 15 to 30 years of age to qualify for this grant) **
Work responsibilities will be 30 hours per week which may include evenings and weekends.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to the email provided.
It is our intention to start reviewing resumes immediately and to quickly start the interview process.
Please quote "Temp Animal Care Attendant – Grant Applicant" in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full time Temp – 8-week term with a start date of June 26th, 2019
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $11.40 /hour