Position: Senior Software Developer, Backend
Position Type: Full time, permanent
Location: Toronto or Ottawa
Reports to: Software Development Manager, Backend
Division: Postmedia Digital
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 125 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
Postmedia is looking for a senior Software Developer, Back-End to help us reshape digital media in Canada. Based in our Toronto or Ottawa office, you will join the team that develops and support the backend applications that power some of the largest media websites in Canada like the National Post, The Toronto Sun, the Ottawa Citizen and the Montreal Gazette. We are a growing team with a BIG impact: you will enjoy working within a fast paced team with a large degree of autonomy.
What you’ll do:
- Provide full cycle web development solutions (develop, code, test, debug and document)
- Design efficient and secure software solutions to meet business needs that perform optimally under heavy web traffic loads
- Enhance and modify applications as necessary, ensuring that e-coding best practices are utilized, top performance is being realized, and an outstanding user-experience is occuring
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with existing applications
- Ensure code meets software standards
- Ability to meet delivery dates for all development projectsLiaise with stakeholders and collaborate with cross functional team members to contribute to ongoing improvements in process and infrastructureProvide input into project requirements, including identification of development tasks, technical requirements, time estimates and development schedules
- Work closely with the Development Team Lead
- Mentor developers across a wide range of skillsets on best practices in building and maintaining scalable software solutions
Who you are:
- A Back-End or Full-Stack Web developer with 5+ years of coding.
- Passionate about web development and constantly expanding your knowledge
- A team player that has worked with Scrum, Kanban or other Agile methodology.
- Someone with a proven track record of working on advanced, scalable, interactive web applications as a back-end and/or full stack developer
- A self-learner and you engage with the product development lifecycle from concept to support
- A self-starter who can work on her/his own, or who immediately seek help when needed.
- Someone with strong attention to detail, accessibility, and user experience.
- Solid skills in Python and Django (understanding of MVC, ORM, object oriented methodologies, caching and other performance optimization strategies)
- Solid skills in RDBMS and NoSQL (PostgreSQL/MySQL, Elasticsearch, MongoDB)
- Solid skills in REST API design (authentication, error handling, data serialization)
Bonus points if you:
- Have solid skills in Ansible, Terraform, Chef or other DevOps automation tool chains
- Have solid skills in cloud hosting (AWS, GCP)
- Have solid skills in CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, Github, Gitlab)
- Have worked with front-end frameworks (React.js, Vue.js or similar)
- Have knowledge of web accessibility (W3C standards compliance, semantic tags, Web accessibility compliance, APIs)
- Have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Have worked with Google Analytics or other third party metrics tools.
- Know how to write technical documentation
- Practice TDD
- Experience and working knowledge of GPT/Google Tags
Should you be interested in this opportunity please include a cover letter and resume in one document.
Applicants must be able to provide some live example of website URLs or any web applications that they have worked on with their resume submission. Github or Gitlab accounts are more than welcome.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2021
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
Application Deadline: 2021-01-18
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent