The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) has an exciting opportunity for two temporary full-time Tobacco Enforcement Officers until December 2020 to work on the Chronic Disease Prevention & Tobacco Control (CDPTC), team in the Healthy Living division in the city of London ON and Middlesex County.
Under the direction of the Manager, CDPTC, the successful candidate will:
- Conduct inspections of public places and workplaces to identify any infractions of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, and municipal tobacco, cannabis and vaping-related bylaws;
- Liaise with municipalities and other enforcement agency partners concerning the Smoke-Free Ontario Act 2017 and municipal, provincial and federal tobacco, cannabis and vaping by-laws;
- Conduct inspections on school property and liaise with secondary school administration to enforce smoke-free and vapour-free provisions on school property;
- Conduct inspections on hospital property and liaise with hospital administration to enforce smoke-free and vapour-free provisions on hospital property;
- Conduct inspections and provide education to tobacco and e-cigarette retailers;
- Issue warnings and offence notices (Part I tickets and Part III summonses) for infractions for smoking or vaping in prohibited spaces and the illegal sale and promotion of tobacco and vaping products;
- Prepare documentation for court cases and attend court when required to provide testimony for offence notices issued;
- Respond to public and owner/operator complaints and inquiries; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Diploma in Police Foundations or in Law and Security Administration, or equivalent education and experience;
- 1-2 years of enforcement experience or security training;
- Qualified to become designated as a Provincial Offences Officer;
- Experience completing various legal forms and applying procedures required to prosecute cases;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence and own transportation;
- Flexible work hours required (including days, evenings, nights, and weekends);
- Training pertaining to non-violent conflict resolution and de-escalation would be considered an asset; and,
- The ability to communicate (written and verbal) in French or and other language(s) is highly desirable.
Please see www.healthunit.com for further information about our programs and services. To apply to this position, please submit all applications electronically via our Career Opportunities page by December 1, 2019 quoting posting #: CDPTCFTTEOOPP-1119.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- enforcement or security: 1 year (Required)
- Driver's Licence (Required)