Under the direction of the Concierge & General Manager, the Maintenance/Handy Man is responsible for maintaining the building and grounds in good operating condition.
1. General repairs to buildings, equipment and furnishings
2. Following a preventative maintenance program for building, HVAC and fire systems
3. Maintaining grounds and parking areas
4. Refurbishing of suites on Resident turn over
5. Ordering supplies and adherence to operating budget
6. Working in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
7. Lives the Vision, Mission, Values and Service Standards of the Organization
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills an asset
- Three years’ experience working in a maintenance role in a Retirement Community setting / hospitality setting
- Knowledgeable about the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Retirement Homes Act
- High-school diploma required
- A valid security/police check.
- Demonstrable previous experience as a handy-man
- Extensive experience (minimum of 5 years) or experience (minimum of 2 years) combined with a certificate from trade school in:
- troubleshooting and performing repairs on plumbing systems and HVAC
- performing basic repairs on electrical systems
- repairing drywall and painting
- performing routine maintenance jobs and repairs.
- Certificate on Safety Standards.
- Previous experience in a customer facing environment (minimum of 3 years)
- Excellent communication skills. Must have the ability to speak, read and write English, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, co-operate with others and solve problems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Physical / Dexterity
- Must be a competent person as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Is qualified because of knowledge, training and experience to organize the work and its performance.
- Is familiar with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to the work, and
- Has knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the workplace
- Must be able to deal effectively with prolonged, concentrated times of administrative office duties in relation to reports and documentation. Must be able to deal effectively with problem solving situations, and make judgment decisions.
- Lifting alone, maximum 40 lbs. (5-29 lbs. usual), as an essential job function.
- Lifting with assistance, maximum 150 lbs. (100 - 125 lbs. usual) as a non-essential job function.
- Pushing/pulling, maximum 160 lbs., (100 – 125 lbs. usual) as a non-essential activity
- Walking, with some upstairs walking, as an essential job function.
- Standing for lengths of time up to 3 hours maximum at one time, as an essential job function
- Bending/stooping for short periods of time as a non-essential job function.
- Crouching, kneeling for short periods of time as a non-essential function.
Alavida Lifestyles is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices. Alavida Lifestyles will provide accommodation to people with disabilities upon request throughout our recruitment process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Maintenance : 1 year (Preferred)