Extendicare is a leading provider of care and services for seniors in Canada. Throughout our network of 113 operated senior care centres (58 owned and 55 managed) as well as our home health care operations, we are committed to delivering care throughout the health care continuum to meet the needs of a growing senior population in Canada. Our qualified and highly trained workforce of 22,800 individuals is dedicated to helping people live better through a commitment to quality service and a passion for what we do.
The Communication Specialist will participate in the coordination and planning of communications and community relations activities as related to Extendicare’s Canadian operation.
This position is based at Extendicare’s Corporate Office in Markham, Ontario.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Mitigate Potential Risk (40%)
- Prepares and disseminates media releases; briefing notes, key messages, articles and arranges interviews and tours.
- Aids in the planning, writing and evaluation of media and guidelines for the field.
- Assists business units in developing ad hoc strategic communication plans, identifies strategic outcomes, stakeholders, messages, tactics and measures.
- Monitors announcements from government and community health associations to identify potential business development opportunities.
- Researches situations deemed as high risk.
- Monitors media and acts as primary support for media relations for the organization
Develops and Drafts Communications (30%)
- Provides leadership and support for internal communications, marketing and public relations
- Prepares Corporate Newsletter, memorandums, announcements, toolkits, and communications guidelines.
- Recommends and responds to executive requests for and assists in the preparation of communication vehicles such as speeches, letters, speaking notes, organizational position papers etc. for internal and external audiences in particular on sensitive or contentious issues.
- Contributes to the planning, writing and production of general and specific content for the company’s websites, intranet and extranet.
- Posts content on the company’s intranet sites.
- Drafts and implements crisis communication plans.
Customer Service (20%)
- Provides support, situational practice and training to company spokespeople.
- Coordinates, plans and produces material in support of special events such as ground breakings, grand openings, news conferences, new beds awards and business meetings.
- Fulfills ad hoc requests for review of external publications prepared by other employees.
- Contributes to the planning, writing, production and dissemination of consumer information publications and other communication and marketing materials as appropriate.
- Monitors and responds to the central communications email address
- Assists in promoting the use of the intranet.
- Educates others on the use of the intranet and develops best practices
- Provides communications training when necessary
Event Management (10%)
- Manage and organize key home and community events such as ground breakings, grand openings and public relations initiatives.
- Work with internal and external customers to orchestrate successful conferences, business meetings.
- Contributes to advocacy activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Pleasant office environment.
- Some stress from balancing multiple priorities and pressing deadlines.
- Some travel within Canada – mainly in Ontario.
- Required to be ‘on call’ and carry a company cell phone
- College or university degree in communications, political science or related field, 3-5 years’ experience working in communications and/or public relations. Post Graduate degree in communications is preferred.
- Strong writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of strategic and crisis communication, media and public relations theory and planning
- Knowledge and experiencing working with In Design and Adobe Suite
- Ability to liaise and negotiate professionally with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Manages crucial communications tasks and situations
- Competencies: results focus, systems thinking, relationship management, customer focus, teamwork, motivated to improve
- Computer skills:
- MS Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Microsoft SharePoint
In Ontario, Extendicare, ParaMed Home Health Care and affiliated organizations including our partner homes in Extendicare Assist, accommodate the needs of job applicants throughout its recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodation needs must be provided in advance. To discuss your needs, please contact
Job Type: Full-time