Embrace a career in the public service with the Ministry of Transportation's entry-level Transportation Technician initiative.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Receive practical, multi-functional learning experiences through rotational assignments as ministry determines in many technical disciplines including construction, highway design, maintenance, traffic, surveys;
- Work independently and as a team member;
- Benefit from on-the-job and classroom training;
- Work with state-of-the-art technology;
- Enjoy career development opportunities with offices across the province and competitive salaries and benefits.
For additional information, please visit our web page for the
Transportation Technician Initiative.
- Shift work, travel within the region and temporary relocation to area offices located in Sudbury, Sault Ste Marie, New Liskeard or Huntsville are a requirement of this position.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid class G licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of highway engineering design, maintenance and contract administration (normally acquired through a diploma in civil engineering technology or related experience).
- You have math skills to complete calculations in engineering survey, design calculation and estimating quantities.
- You have computer skills, including AutoCAD to prepare computerized designs/ plans/ stats and word processing/spreadsheet software to produce variety of correspondence, reports and presentations.
- You have demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills to assess data, clarify data integrity, identify design/construction problems, analyze traffic capacity and collision stats and recommend solutions/modifications as required.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills to explain ministry standards/design requirements to other technical areas and contract administrators, to discuss maintenance problems and emergency road situations.
- You have interpersonal skills to work with other project members in a team environment.
1 Permanent, 447 Mckeown Ave, North Bay, North Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Maintenance and Trades
Friday, July 24, 2020
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.