Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Investment Officer delivers foreign direct investment (FDI) to the UK from the Province of Ontario. The role covers multiple sectors including technology, creative and digital media, financial, professional and business services, with a particular focus on disruptive fintech companies.
Roles and responsibilities :
This is an important role working for the UK’s Department for International Trade, based out of the UK’s Consulate-General in Toronto. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering against a range of UK Government metrics, with specific responsibilities as follow:
- Assist Ontario-based companies looking to set up in the UK and support those companies already established in the UK market.
- Lead, motivate and develop the small tech sector inward investment team, ensuring high performance against internal FDI metrics.
- Conceive and execute DIT activities with the goal of building relationships, generating leads, and increasing awareness of the UK’s market proposition to potential investors.
- Maintain current knowledge of UK market trends, trade, investment and industrial policies and strategies, financial incentives, and UK centres of excellence in order to position the UK as an attractive investment destination for a Canadian audience.
- Deliver high-impact, high-value advice to senior officials and Ministerial visits to Toronto and Canada.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with key industry associations, C-level executives, business leaders, professional service providers, UK devolved administrations and other important internal and external stakeholders that influence UK and Canadian businesses.
- Occasional work supporting, on an ad hoc basis, inbound trade missions from the UK in relevant sectors such as technology and fintech.
- Lead the relationship for the inward investment team with the DIT Tech Sector team in London and with US counterparts.
- Undertake occasional travel within Canada and to the UK
A proportion of the role will be dedicated to supporting incoming Trade missions in the Tech Sector. These are infrequent but on average up to twice per year. The officer will also be responsible for scoping the opportunity for UK companies to win exports in the Tech Sector in Canada and reporting on this to senior managers as well as suggesting next steps for taking advantage of the opportunities that exist within a constrained resource environment.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
Bachelor’s degree qualification, preferably in either a business or marketing related degree. A MBA would be considered an asset
At least 3 years progressive experience in either a business or economic development role (local, provincial or federal role).
At least 2 years’ management experience.
Strong communication skills, with excellent written and verbal communication skill, and a knack for being able to adapt style to suit a wide range of audiences.
Strong knowledge about the UK’s investment and business environment, with a solid grasp of what makes the UK a top destination for inward investment.
Positive team player who can operate as part of a wider, geographically dispersed team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Understanding or experience of the UK-Canada trade and investment relationship.
A demonstrable record of achievement in business development in Canada. Experience working with C-Suite Executives
A self-starter who is able to work independently and show initiative with limited day-to-day supervision
Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline - day Application deadline - month Application deadline - year
2 February 2020
Type of Position
Working hours per week
North America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (CAD)
Start Date Start Date - day Start Date - month Start Date - year
13 April 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Must have legal status to live and work in Canada
Toronto is North America’s 4th largest city, the provincial capital of the province of Ontario and the media, financial and business capital of Canada. It is North America’s second largest financial services sector (with two of Canada’s banks in the global top 20 bank list) and an emerging hub for the next generation of Canada’s entrepreneurs, start-up and scale up companies.
Toronto is the largest Consulate-General in the UK in Canada network and the 3rd largest non-sovereign UK post in North America. Led by the Consul-General and Head of the UK’s Department for International Trade network in Canada, the leadership is responsible for 25 trade and investment officers based in Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver as well as those staff working on the UK-Ontario bilateral relationship.
The Consulate-General hosts representatives from the UK’s Devolved Administrations and their business development organisations including the Visit Britain, Scottish Government, Scottish Development International, Visit Scotland and Invest Northern Ireland.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.