The Cochrane & Area Humane Society is accepting applications for mature and reliable part-time Animal Care Specialists. We offer a competitive salary range and where applicable a group benefits and group RRSP plan.
The position is a four-day on and four-day off rotating shift schedule from 7am -1:30 pm or 2pm - 8pm. Please specify which shift you are applying for.
- complete the daily cleaning procedures to maintain a clean environment that is as healthy and safe as possible
- with the assistance of volunteers, feed and administer necessary medications in a timely manner.
- move dogs in and out of building as appropriate for bathroom breaks and exercise.
- record accurate, timely and detailed notes in Animal Care communication book re. health and behavioural issues
- communicate animal related health and behavioural concerns and any occupational hazards to the Animal Care Supervisor/ Operations Manager in a timely manner
- complete accident/incident reports as necessary
- transport animals to and from the veterinary clinics and complete regular Society errands as required
- daily check of surgical incisions on the animals
- ensure all animals are receiving adequate nutrition and exercise
- ensure adequate amounts of animal food and litter are available in their containers and in storage at all times and notifying the Animal Care Supervisor when stock is low
- respond to public enquiries in a professional, courteous, and timely manner
- provide/offer support, guidance and clear instructions to volunteers in a polite and professional manner
- conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner at all times while working as an employee of the Cochrane & Area Humane Society
- help the reception and adoption staff to assist the public when requested to do so
- have and maintain a valid driver’s license and operate the Society’s vehicle in a responsible and legal manner at all times
- handle all animals in a humane way using positive reinforcement methods
- ensure appropriate and timely communication is shared with-in and between departments on a daily basis
- remain familiar with and supportive of, the goals and mission of the Cochrane & Area Humane Society
- adhere to Shelter policy and procedures
- complete all mandatory training
- complete other related duties as requested by the Executive Director, Operations Manager and Animal Care Supervisor
Qualifications and Skills:
- Previous experience working with animals a definite asset
- Previous experience working with volunteers a definite asset
- Ability to successfully handle all breeds and sizes of dogs, cats and other domestic pets
- Reliable, trustworthy, able to work well in a team atmosphere as well as capable of working independently
- Strong organizational, productivity and time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Basic office and computer skills
- Physically capable of working in a fast paced and labour intensive environment that includes lifting, bending and other repetitive movements
- Genuine concern for the welfare of animals
If you would like the opportunity to be a part of a caring and compassionate team working for an important cause, please forward your cover letter and resume with salary expectations.
Please note: Only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
Job Type: Part-time