ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Digital Marketing Specialist is a member of the marketing and communications team. They have in-depth understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, LinkedIn) and are able to effectively create and position organic and paid content. They are also an expert in search engine optimization and confident using Google Adwords. These skills and experiences allow them to effectively collaborate with the Students’ Union’s many internal clients to create strategic digital marketing plans and campaigns that maximize online visibility for all areas of the organization. We're looking for someone who can help us up our digital marketing game, help us set realistic goals and then achieve them.
ABOUT THE STUDENTS' UNION
The Student’s Union (SU) is one of the leading undergraduate student associations in Canada. We work to ensure that University of Calgary undergraduate students have the best possible university experience through advocacy, representation, and providing valuable on-campus services and programs. We also manage several businesses within the MacEwan Student Centre including a restaurant and bar, two concert venues, a convenience store, a used bookstore and copy centre, and the MacEwan Conference & Event Centre.
Students lead our organization, and so SU staff are all teachers in some capacity. We coach, mentor, and work alongside the elected members of our student government to help them develop skills and make good decisions for the organization. Because of this, we trust and invest in our staff as they are pivotal in supporting and fostering positive and productive student leadership. The SU is a nimble organization that can pivot quickly to address emerging issues and trends. This role is ideal for a new professional looking for the freedom to innovate and who is willing to take the initiative to expand their range of experience.
- Develop strong understanding of all SU services and businesses, building relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Work closely with marketing team and internal clients to develop digital advertising and content strategies to support marketing campaigns
- Create and implement digital marketing strategies (organic and paid)
- Create content calendar(s) for social platforms
- Develop content in a consistent voice on all major social media channels from concept through to delivery and evaluation (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, LinkedIn)
- Manage day-to-day social media feeds and interactions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat
- Create and manage email marketing campaigns using relevant software
- Develop, execute, and monitor Google Adwords, SEM, and SEO campaigns
- Set KPI’s and create and distribute reports on channel growth and engagement and campaign performance, sharing insights with marketing and digital teams
- Execute social media component of existing marketing campaigns, while ensuring that each social media channel is entertaining, informative, and engaging in its own right
- Create digital content using appropriate software; produce content for digital, print, and social as needed
- Write, edit and publish website copy, landing pages on SU website
- Supervise part-time Social Media Coordinators (September through April)
- Educate internal team on new trends in the digital landscape
- Contribute to general departmental and administration duties and materials
- Other duties as assigned from time-to time by the Marketing Manager
- A diploma or degree in marketing, design, communications, digital or new media production and design, or related field.
- 3-5 years of related experience in digital marketing and social media.
- Experience managing multiple social media channels for various brands simultaneously is preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours, as some evening and weekend hours may be required, is necessary.
- Knowledge of marketing theory and best practices including online and offline methods for promoting services.
- General graphic design skills and knowledge of web/print design elements.
- Solid design, writing, and proofing skills, supported by proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and social media tools (both creative and scheduling) is required.
- Familiarity with web analytics and reporting, as well as Google AdWords and Facebook Ad Manager, are strong assets.
- Strong project management, design, technical, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate in a team environment as well as take direction.
- Must also be able to handle multiple projects from multiple departments, have a strong attention to detail and possess the ability to address communication problems with proactive, creative solutions.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent