Job Title: Health Care Aide
Job Location: Bergen Gardens (1475 Molson)
Reporting Manager: Community Health Director
Reporting to the Community Health Director, the Health Care Aide performs care duties and responsibilities in accordance with Bergen Gardens policies and procedures and job routines and as outlined in the Elder Care Plan. They also monitor, and report changes in the elder’s physical or mental condition to the supervisor. The Health Care Aide responds to and provides appropriate assistance in a timely manner, as required by each elder.
WHO WE ARE:
Bergen Gardens, located in North Kildonan, is a unique Seniors Community where those who live, visit and work here experience a culture of creativity, choice, and well-being. Using a citizenship person-directed philosophy, we’re taking the focus away from personal care homes as biomedical solutions to a relationship approach where both Care Partners (staff) and citizens can build community together.
Bergen Gardens offers a friendly and positive work environment. We believe that when people are surrounded with opportunities to maintain connections with pets, nature, and people of all ages, they will continue to thrive and grow as a person.
Some of the perks that are included in working at Bergen Gardens include competitive wages, a health care spending account, group health benefits, long-term disability, life insurance, and a group DPSP/RRSP matching program. We want work to be a source of pride and personal fulfillment for our staff as they contribute to our joint success!
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Perform care duties and responsibilities in accordance with Bergen Gardens policies and procedures and job routines and as outlined in the Elder Care Plan:
- Assist elders with personal hygiene needs such as washing, bathing, dressing, using the washroom, shaving, skincare, hair care, mouth care, nail care, grooming, and basic care treatments as required.
- Distribute meals and nourishments. Assist with meal distribution in the dining room, removal of used dishes, and assisting elders with meals as required.
- Provide ambulation, restorative care, and assistance to elders as required.
- Monitor and report changes in the elder’s physical or mental condition to the supervisor.
- Respond to and provides appropriate assistance in a timely manner, as required by each elder.
- Position, lift, and turn elders to provide and maintain proper body alignment and comfort, using proper techniques, and adhere to facility policy for the use of transfer belts and care plan logos.
- Perform charting duties accurately and clearly on the EHR Clinical Record, always adhering to PHIA.
- Encourage, support, and participate as directed in the facility activity programs, including transporting elders to activity programs.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the written policies and procedures of Bergen Gardens and the Nursing Department including Workplace Safety and Health policies and regulations.
- Participate in the evaluation of care and/or service provided by the Nursing Department to elders under the Continuous Quality Improvement Program.
- Remain alert to potential health and safety hazards and take appropriate action. Report unsafe and hazardous working conditions and any equipment malfunctions to the nurse in charge and maintenance department.
- Respect elders’ rights to dignity and privacy and performs duties in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Responsible for the development and upgrading of his/her knowledge and skills as required. Attends in-service sessions and conferences as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Valid Health Care Aide Certificate to qualify as a Trained Health Care Aide.
- Practical understanding of how a long-term care facility normally operates.
- At least three years of experience in Health Care and/or knowledgeable about the principles and philosophy of long-term care.
- Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards and health codes.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy, concern, and interest in providing quality care and service to elders.
- Ability to communicate with well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to fluently read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to speak another language is considered an asset.
- Ability to interrelate well with others and establish positive relationships with elders, their families, other staff members, volunteers, and the public.
- Ability to adapt quickly in a progressive change-oriented environment.
- Maintains interest in learning more about person-directed care.
- Ability to manage the associated physical, emotional, and psychological demands of the work involved.
Are you excited about new ways of engaging and caring for seniors? If so, you could be a great fit for Bergen Gardens.
Grade 12 or GED