An established Niagara winery is seeking a General Manager to oversee customer experiences, hospitality, consumer sales, facility operations and human resources. The General Manager will work closely with the executive team (encompassing marketing, finance, winemaking and production) and will oversee the hospitality and direct to consumer sales teams. This position will work in a multi-faceted environment incorporating tourism and hospitality experiences along with retail and other channel sales at a property that welcomes thousands of visitors and customers annually, has a large seasonal staff complement, and that operates within a large, upscale facility with multiple public spaces.
We are looking for someone who is energizing and enthusiastic – who is able to create positive energy (motivation) in both individuals and groups, to consistently set positive examples, possesses good coaching and counseling skills, and regularly uses goals to motivate. The ideal candidate will be able to define realistic, specific goals and objectives and prioritize those objectives.
- Post-secondary degree
- At least 3 years of experience overseeing an operation, staff and facility of a similar scope and scale; experience in a multi-faceted environment an asset (food and beverage/other hospitality, winery, attractions, retail, accommodation)
- At least three years of experience managing employees
- Hospitality management, business management and training experience
- Direct experience with human resource oversight
- Winery experience considered an asset but not a requirement
- Experience with a premium or luxury level brand an asset
- Retail management considered an asset
- Familiarity with the tourism landscape of Niagara region an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
- Appreciation for fine wines
- Proven, successful sales experience comparable to selling wine
Responsibilities & Duties:
- The General Manager works closely with the executive team; manages the hospitality supervisors (private wine tasting experiences, weddings, food and beverage service, special events), direct to consumer sales managers (online, retail, wine club), and warehouse manager (shipping/receiving and inventory); is the main point of contact for all employees; and is responsible for general operations of the winery (customer service protocols, human resources for all employees, seasonal and hospitality employee training, compliance, physical plant).
- Responsible for decision making and oversight of facility improvements and day-to-day needs and maintenance of the facility; for all expenses and costs related to the facility’s operation; and for maintaining a facility that is befitting of a premium wine brand.
- Monitors, mentors and measures performance of supervisory and management staff. Works with supervisory and management staff on efficient use of resources and controlling costs.
- Creates and maintains quality relationships with customers and stakeholders, including private individuals, corporate event coordinators, vendors, tourism partners, industry associations, colleagues and management.
- Works with the Executive Team to develop budgets and forecasting, and monitors and controls expenses. Looks for ways to continually improve the efficiency of procedures and services performed. Interacts with Finance and Administration on issues regarding employee pay, vendor billing and wine sales documentation.
- Responsible for duties associated with human resources and staffing; provides counsel and information to all employees regarding their employment policies and benefits, rights and responsibilities; drives recruitment efforts (receives and reviews employment applications) and assists with conducting new employee orientation. Develops, maintains and implements Employee Handbook and Operations Manual. Proactively intervenes and resolves actual or potential employee relations/morale problems, coordinating with the Executive Team. Participates and consults with ET regarding corrective disciplinary matters to ensure acceptable levels of performance and conduct. Coordinates employee problem solving and disciplinary procedures in compliance with company policies and procedures. Maintains compliance with federal and provincial regulations concerning employment.
- Working with the hospitality supervisors and direct to consumer sales managers, directs the overall hospitality and customer experience via developing and maintaining customer service standards, effective merchandising, and employee training related to wine knowledge and sales. Works closely with the VP of Strategy & Marketing to ensure consistency of all consumer facing brand elements.
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, Internet use and email use.
- Working knowledge of and appreciation for fine wine.
- Knowledge of sales training tools and techniques conducive to wine sales.
- Knowledge of human resources principles and practices and employment laws and regulations.
- Intellectual and creative, with good verbal and written communication.
- Quickly assesses customer needs and responds appropriately.
- Has the ability to train others in soft skills, such as selling and relationship building.
- Interpersonal Skills: maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Quality Control: the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability: the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability: the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is in alignment with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law.
- Commitment to Task: able to start and persist with specific courses of action while exhibiting high motivation and a sense of urgency.
- Organizing and Planning: able to organize or schedule people or tasks; develop realistic action plans while being sensitive to time constraints and resource availability. Uses written plans to guide activities; skilled with a time management system; structures action plans; makes long and short-range plans.
- Team Building: able to work with people in such a manner as to build high morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Skilled in participative management. Confronts negative attitudes. Builds overlap of personal and team goals. Never allows abuse of team member. Can balance the need to complete tasks while maintaining good relationships.
- Decision-making and Problem-solving: able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgments and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics. Regularly exhibits objective attitude; isolates problems.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- management: 3 years (Preferred)