The Porter is responsible for transporting patients, equipment, clean and soiled linen, specimens throughout the hospital. Assists clinical staff when required. Duties are handled in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
- Minimum Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of six months related experience in a hospital setting
- Basic computer skills, ability to use pager, handheld device or other electronic communication device.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with patients and members of the health care team.
- Ability to organize time and prioritize to complete assigned tasks.
- Knowledge of Hospital Isolation Guidelines
- "Lift and Transfer" Program
- Initiative to work independently.
- Ability to meet physical demands of the job.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Transports patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed throughout the hospital, ensuring that appropriate areas are notified and the patient is set-up properly and safely. This may involve moving furniture.
- Assists nursing staff as required by lifting and tending to patients, using proper body mechanics as outlined in the "lift and transfer" program.
- Maintains knowledge of the various Hydraulic Patient lifts in use throughout the hospital
- Provides transport service for pick-up and delivery of all laboratory specimens and reports in compliance with established method and timeframes, as requested.
- Ensures all patient wheelchairs, stretchers or beds are returned to department and are properly maintained and disinfected. Ensures clean linens are placed on all patient stretchers and short-stay beds.
- Monitors pager and telephone. Keep track of patient names and locations through computer tracking system.
- Maintains adequate supplies of linens on units and delivers linen as requested/scheduled.
- Empties chutes, collects soiled linen from collection points and transports soiled linen carts to the dock area. Collecting isolation linen as required.
- Unloads clean and soiled linen carts to and from Mohawk Hospital Services vehicles.
- Monitors usage in departments to determine replenishment of clean linen
- Ensures all supplies and carts are properly stocked and maintained.
- Transfers deceased patients to morgue using cadaver lift and places in morgue drawers.
- Transports soiled equipment to a centralized location for staging to be cleaned.
- Supports other portering groups when required.
- Receives transport requests through the hospital paging system. Required to follow strict processes in order to provide a safe and efficient transport.
- Handles patients with IV's, oxygen, chest tubes and ventilators with extreme care and notifies nursing of any unusual occurrence
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Rotating shifts, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays
$23.68 ... $24.70 ... $25.74 (plus 14% in lieu of benefits)