Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Functional GIS Specialist is accountable for gathering, understanding, executing and documenting business processes surrounding GIS and will use GIS tools to deliver to business. These requirements range from providing cartographic delivery of all methods, print, digital and interactive GIS Portal layers/maps. Using off the shelf builders to develop GIS apps and data delivery. Work closely with the remote sensing specialist handling OrthoImagery and LiDAR.
They will use their business relationships and GIS knowledge to drive the solution and organizational change. They will also document requirements and specifications needed to design, recommend and implement solutions to improve those processes leveraging ESRI Enterprise GIS stack. They will develop solutions based on multiple technology platforms in the realm of GIS that will enable the organization to achieve its goals. They will also utilize industry best practices to ensure deployability, scalability and supportability of those solutions in a growing organization. They will also be responsible for the maintenance and support of existing solutions as well as newly delivered ones.
- Process, analyze and manage georeferenced railway related data and databases using GIS tools and software. Includes Vector, Raster and LiDAR.
- Create cartographic Prints, pdfs, presentation level and interactive Maps using GIS Desktop and Server tools
- Create and maintain scripts and tools developed for providing GIS analysis and output for business
- Apply and verify railway operational requirements, rules of operation and business standards to geospatial railway data using an industry standard data models
- Perform QA/QC in support of day-to-day operational data change requests (Data Change Management)
- Work with CPKC Change Management and internal business partners coordinating the delivery of data change requests.
- Troubleshoot incidents or defects that arise in supported applications and ensure a timely resolution. Ensure that all stakeholders are updated on progress
- Apply a variety of techniques to elicit and gather business and user requirements from stakeholders.
- Perform analysis of existing GIS solutions to understand how they function. Further using this analysis to identify areas for design improvement and/or resolve incidents.
- 4+ years of knowledge of principles, concepts, practices, techniques and tools in the areas of GIS. Using ESRI as core software.
- 4+ years of practical experience and knowledge of principles, concepts, practices, techniques and tools in the areas of GIS. Using ESRI as core software.
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101215
- Department: Information Services
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 4
- Job Available to: Internal & External