If we’re going to work together, let us first introduce ourselves – because we are proud of our team at FedEx Express Canada. You know us as a global transportation company – and we’ve shipped some pretty interesting things over the years like part of the ship’s hull of the Titanic, a windmill, race cars, a helicopter, the shark from Jaws and a lot of panda bears who get their own chartered airplane!
You may not know that across the globe, FedEx is the backbone of the e-commerce economy. In fact, we were the initial industry disruptor in 1973 and we continue to build on that innovation every day by expanding our network to move goods in Canada and around the world. Our Canadian team is also proud to be a 2018 Aon “Best Employer in Canada” recipient and we celebrate being recognized as an organization that has a dynamic culture and a dedicated, long-tenured work environment.
Sounds like a great place to work – right? So, if you are interested – and we’d like to think you are, let’s get started telling you why you might be the perfect fit for our Human Resources team in an Employee Relations Representative role.
What is an Employee Relations Rep you ask?
We love our employees at FedEx and in this role you will provide employee relations support, guidance and counsel to both management and employees, fostering consistent and fair people practices to specific workgroups (approx 400 - 600 employees). You will also facilitate the problem-solving process of employee relations’ issues with varying degrees of complexity, internal investigations and performance while enabling a highly motivated, engaged workforce in a union-free environment.
In addition to hanging with employees and discussing the latest episode of Game of Thrones (not really), in this role, you will…
- Support managers and employees with human resources issues, policy precedent and labor legislation
- Assist and counsel with regards to disciplinary action, performance improvement, policy exceptions, reorganization resulting in employee relations concerns (i.e. personnel displacement) and make recommendations based on each case
- Make recommendations and follow up on GFTP, Open Door, Respectful Workplace and Special Investigations
- Provide guidance and first level endorsement on exceptions that are not addressed in policy
- Assist with the development of organizational or local change management initiatives, and assist field management with implementation/communication of these initiatives
- Assist with the development of new Employee Relations policies/ procedures; address employee concerns related to policy
- Provide input on HR programs/projects that will impact employees
- Lead/ participate on Quality Action Teams
- Conduct annual ER/people audits and provide reports and recommendations to management
- Administer and reviews results of surveys (ie. SFA); prepare recommendations to management based on the results
- Diffuse/mediate workplace conflicts and seeks out win/win solutions where possible
- Partner with management to diffuse morale issues
- Support FedEx at external litigations for wrongful dismissal. This includes: preparing legal files, conducting research and assisting with witness preparation
- Create and facilitate Employee Relations related training
- Provide guidance to junior Employee Relations staff
- Foster consistent and fair people practices
Okay, that’s a lot – and you need to do all of this and more in both official language plus you need…
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- CHRP/ Alternative Dispute Resolution/ Executive Certification in Conflict Management preferred
- 4 years of Human Resources experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft office
- Strong knowledge of federal, provincial and local laws
- Understanding of Canada Labor Code Human Rights legislation, Employment Standards Act, Employment Equity legislation
- Strong project management skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to handle high-stress situations
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Openness to change/flexible
- Must be bilingual
- Travel required
Some awesome perks to working at FedEx:
- A competitive salary and incentives
- A progressive benefits programs, including health and dental coverage and pension plan
- A Career Investment Fund with up to $5k a year for programs or tuition reimbursement
- Strong Community Service programs including diverse volunteer, charity, and fundraising initiatives to give back to both local and global communities
- Discounted FedEx services, flights, hotels, entertainment and car rentals
- A fun and diverse team who voted FedEx a best employer and a great place to work (we aren’t just saying that, it’s actually true)
We don’t expect you to deliver any helicopters or pandas – but if you can deliver on this exciting job opportunity, please attach your updated resume when applying. We thank all applicants and we will contact you directly – by email, not by FedEx – if selected for an interview.
Job Type: Full-time