The purpose of Calgary’s science centre is unwavering. Spark exists to make lives — and the world — better through an affinity for science. Through visits to Spark, and encounters with Spark in the community, people are lifted up by the positive power of curiosity, experimentation and creativity. Spark is a registered charity.
The outcome is profound. Spark helps people of all ages fuel up for the future because at Spark, science, technology and invention are embedded in cultural experiences. This creates new points of access to the disciplines at the core of innovation. Join the Spark team to transform lives and inspire the future.
Spark is currently recruiting a full-time permanent Marketing Specialist, Graphic Design. The Marketing Specialist, Graphic Design reports directly to the Director, Brand and Marketing and supports the development and implementation of a full-cycle annual marketing program for the Calgary science centre. This position requires a well-rounded designer, and positive person with a passion for details and print, web, digital, video and animated graphics, in all aspects of local, regional and national marketing, from driving individual tickets and group sales, to school programs and special events. This role requires strong attention to detail, ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines, and have an eagerness to learn, contribute ideas, meet deadlines, and grow professionally as part of a high performing team.
This position requires relationship building internally and externally to help tell the brand story of the Calgary science centre and engage ever-expanding audiences. It involves multiple marketing channels and will support the science centre to become on the top 10 most-worth-visiting science centres on the world.
- Lead all design work to support all departments and brand continuity at Spark.
- Help plan, coordinate and execute a year-round range of strategic marketing programs and campaigns.
- Support the Spark advancement team with fundraising campaign collateral, events and proposals.
- Support and grow the Spark membership program with an annual program of communications and event support.
- Support the communications and marketing needs of all business units at Spark.
- Support and grow the group experiences at Spark, including school fields trips, online educational programs, professional training programs and facility rentals, through targeted sales and marketing campaigns.
- Work with the visitor experience and guest services teams to build campaigns and marketing materials that increase engagement, both online and in-person.
- Integrate marketing materials with the science centre brand of creative science communications.
- Monitor and maintain related budgets.
- Ensure team activities are aligned with business and strategic goals of Spark as a whole.
- Model high performance, flexibility and kindness in a rapidly changing growth environment.
Qualifications & Knowledge
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in marketing, communications or graphic design, with a proven track record of adding exceptional value to diverse marketing and communications initiatives.
- Ability to work quickly, hit deadlines, be agile and accept feedback and able to work on many projects at once.
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite and able to use all platforms.
- A self-starter with strong analytical skills to analyze metrics and respond with agility to evolving trends.
- Positive attitude
- Desire to work on a high performing team with a continuous upgrading culture to achieve high impact results.
- A high degree of creativity with the ability to leave your ego at the door.
- Willingness to learn.
- A portfolio of graphic design/campaign work is required.
- Some evenings and weekends are required.
Culture at Spark
Spark’s goal is to become one of the top 10 most-worth-visiting science centres in the world. Through skilled and confident programming, Spark will attract visitors from around the city, province and globe, and immerse them in emotive experiences as they explore ever-evolving, quirky and thought-provoking galleries. The skilled programming at this level of success will only be possible with an organization-wide commitment to effective performance. High performance at Spark is both defined and experienced by diverse cultures and proactively advances equity among all human beings as part of the definition of effectiveness.
Spark’s high performance culture is driven by a shared purpose. Team members are united by values and proud of the reputation we are building together. What does high performance look like at Spark?
- Commitment to Purpose. Everyone at Spark is a purpose driven leader. You are passionate about entertaining people of all ages in creative encounters with science, technology and engineering, and the output of your work reflects our values: collaboration, curiosity, courage, commitment, and creativity.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning. Your individual growth is driven by a desire to be a part of the team that makes Spark one of the best science centres in the world. Every day is a professional development day at Spark. You are expected to seek out learning opportunities and pursue professional growth. At times the growth may be uncomfortable, and you embrace it as part of the journey.
- Agents of Change. We are a culture of experimentalists. It is expected and encouraged for staff to make suggestions that can improve a program, presentation, process or service. It is also expected and encouraged for suggestions to be accepted and tried with a thank you for helping each other get even stronger.
- Coaching Mindset. Sparklers are committed to helping each other become even stronger in our roles. Upgrading each other’s work is enjoyable and rewarding because teams are built on trust. Supervisor feedback feels like coaching, not criticism or punishment. Remember, you can say anything if you are kind, clear and non-judgmental. This is how high performance teams are built.
- Winning and Losing as a Team. We work together to drive action and results that are aligned with Spark’s mission in the outside world. We encourage healthy debate and science-based decision making. Our relationships allow us to make big asks of each other and get big things done together with a sense of urgency and excellence. If someone appears to fail, you ask, “What did I do or not do to contribute to that, as it is my failure too.”
- Achieving Results. Spark is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of communicating science and we carry that dedication to excellence in every aspect of Spark’s work. We encourage each other to set stretch goals and work together across all departments to exceed them.
Closing Date: July 15, 2022
Salary Range: $45,000-$60,000, depending on experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Spark is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday