Date: August 16, 2018
Position Title: Cook
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Terms: Seasonal Contract, Full time 5 shifts per week, must be flexible
Salary: $17 - $20/hour depending on qualifications and experience
Term: September 1 onward
Reports To: Supervisor, Food Services
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by
nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social
responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation
of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the
right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 125 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 95,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located on the Sunshine Coast near Gibsons, a 40 minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It offers programs all year round to different groups and schools and in the summer if offers one-week, two-week and four week camping adventures for campers 5-17 years old.
Nature & Scope:
The Cook works as a part of the camp kitchen staff team to provide support to the Sous Chef and First Cook with the operation of the YMCA Camp Elphinstone kitchen. He or she will be responsible for preparation, cooking, serving and clean-up of at least two meals a day for 40-450 children and adults.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
YMCA Camps is based on the building of a camp community. The camp community is intended to be supportive of all the members and to provide opportunities for growth and learning. Staff and at YMCA Camps are responsible to not only be a part of the camp community, but also to guide campers and guests in understanding what it means to be a part of a YMCA Camp. This will be accomplished in a number of ways, but is not limited to:
- Role modeling appropriate behaviour
- Understanding that each staff members’ role in the camp community is to serve our clients, summer campers and groups
- Understanding that the greater good of our client’s experience must be at the forefront in every decision made
- Teach and role model the core values of the YMCA
- Read, understand, teach and enforce the policies of the YMCA and YMCA Camps
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the camp staff team, the Cook will be expected to
- Assist with general food preparation, and cooking of meals
- Assist with inventory and stock
- Assist with serving of meals
- Ensure a high level of quality, cleanliness, and safety in all food preparation
- Interacting with guests during meals
- Ensure the safety of all participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff
- Ensure FoodSafe standards are followed at all times
- Making sure weekly and daily cleaning checklists are completed
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to stand for a long period of time and lift up to 50 pounds
The Prep Cook may be required to assist in duties not listed above. The YMCA expects the support of all staff members in fulfilling objectives that may not be specific to this position.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- WHIMIS Certification an asset
- Food Safe level 1
- Previous experience in the food service industry preferably a camp environment or equivalent an asset
- Must possess strong communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Knowledge of dietary restrictions and allergies
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Job Types: Temporary, Contract
Salary: $17.00 to $20.00 /hour
- cook: 2 years (Preferred)