The National Construction Safety Officer is responsible for implementing and maintaining the Health and Safety Program with the organization.
Major Responsibilities and Duties (to fulfill major purpose):
1. Maintain NCSO certification status with the help and support of Helix IT.
2. Help to complete and/or maintain corporate COR certification for Helix IT.
3. Perform ongoing Maintenance and updating of the existing company Corporate Safety Policies and Procedures Manual, and all required programs related to site specific safety and OH&S laws and regulations as required.
4. Keep current with and ensure company compliance to current OH&S laws and regulations.
5. Perform new hire orientations to the Company Safety Policies and Procedures Manual, programs and site specific safety policies as required.
6. Coordinate and organize all employee orientations, site specific training and orientations as required.
7. Maintain, coordinate, and ensure compliance of all employee D&A testing, training requirements and certifications as required.
8. Complete and maintain jobsite JSAs, FLHA’s, Tool Box talks, weekly safety meetings, worksite inspections as required.
9. Conduct ongoing scheduled competency testing on all employees and document results.
10. Perform and complete incident investigation reports.
11. Submit all accident and incident documentation to the required authorities (i.e. WCB, OH&S, Site Safety groups etc.) as required.
12. Interface with all client safety groups and ensure compliance with their programs.
13. Maintain and keep current all corporate memberships to organizations such as Avetta, CanQual, ISNetworld, ComplyWorks etc. as required.
14. Maintain the company WCB accounts including reporting man hours and wage reports as required.
15. Provide WCB clearance letters for clients as requested.
16. Provide general liability insurance certificates for clients as requested.
17. Document, maintain, compile, and provide any man hour and safety stats required by client safety departments.
18. Purchasing and maintaining company PPE, safety equipment and materials for all sites as required.
19. Review and maintain contractor onboarding documents.
20. Fleet maintenance including mileage, repairs, addition/subtraction of vehicles, etc.
21. Perform ERP drills as per regulatory requirements.
22. Perform other tasks as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships
- Knowledge of federal and provincial health and safety regulations
- Walking, standing, bending, crouching or stooping.
- Frequently lifting 5 to 50 pounds, occasionally heavier lifting.
- Evening, weekend and holiday hours may be required.
- Works outdoors and indoors; occasionally in inclement weather.
Experience, Training and Education (demonstrating requirements):
- NCSO certification required
- 1-2 years’ experience in the Health and Safety industry
- Active certified peer auditor status
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- Telecommunications experience is an asset
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Telecommunications: 3 years (Preferred)