Date Posted: May 5, 2021
Posting #: 21-0719
Position: Booking Clerk
Status: Temporary Part-Time
(May 2021 to September 2021 with the possibility of extension )
Program: Northeast Cancer Centre
Department: Northeast Cancer Centre
Site: Initially Assigned to Northeast Cancer Centre (NECC)
Schedule and book a variety of patient appointments, follow up visits, tests, treatments and referrals for
all patients within the NECC.
Under the general direction of the Coordinator, NECC Clerical.
1. Review incoming referrals for new patient and book as per NECC guidelines.
2. Book all return follow-up appointments for patients, locally and peripheral clinics.
3. Book chemotherapy and radiation treatments as per NECC guidelines.
4. Contact patients by phone or mail regarding appointments and procedures as required.
5. Provide patients with written date, time and location of tests, requisitions and explanations.
6. Fax requisitions to appropriate department and to North Eastern Ontario hospitals, clinics, and
7. Re-book and restrict physician clinics as required.
8. Process cancellations and change appointments efficiently and effectively and advise nursing
staff as required.
9. Request all required information from physicians’ offices, health care facilities and a variety of
Electronic Medical Records (EMR) to ensure all documentation is included to facilitate
10. Maintain appointment calendars for designated physicians and other designated health care
11. Maintain and print daily schedules that integrate activities from various sites as required.
12. Arrange and maintain schedules to meet changing demands and requests as required.
13. Enter data into a computerized system, and update statistics on patient attendance.
14. Arrange patient transportation as required.
15. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and
safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
16. Participate in hospital training as required.
17. Assist with improvement initiatives as required.
18. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a one (1) year Diploma in a Medical Office Administration or related field from an
2. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is
1. One (1) year recent relevant experience within the last five (5) years is preferred.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of and proficiency in Medical Terminology.
2. Demonstrated ability to accurately type a minimum of 50 words per minute.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in data entry.
4. Demonstrated computer skills with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word,
Excel, Power Point and Outlook), Mosaiq and application patient information systems.
5. Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and communicate with patients, families, and
6. Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
7. Ability to prioritize tasks.
9. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
1. Successful Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
2. Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
3. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
4. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
5. Demonstrated positive work record and good attendance record.
6. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position based on their seniority and ability
to meet the normal requirements identified in the job posting. A resume or
completed Application Form indicating skills and ability must be submitted. HSN
reserves the right to conduct a formal interview/testing process where required.
Shift: Initially Assigned to Days
Bilingualism is Required. In accordance with the FLS Plan, if no bilingual
candidates (both internal and external) meet the qualifications, unilingual
candidates may be considered.
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600
hours on May 12, 2021 .