Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The primary role of the Pre-triage Screener is to greet and screen all patients, families and visitors that enter the hospital at the Scarborough Health Network (SHN). The successful candidate must be available to work day shifts, night shifts and weekends, with flexibility to cover additional shifts as required. Please note the schedule and hours of work may change due to operational needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Review screening tools and assess eligibility for entrance.
- Screen all individuals entering Emergency Department and/or alternate designated entrance(s) for signs, symptoms and travel based on the screening tool.
- Verify staff eligibility for entrance (ID Badge or other means).
- Ensure all persons entering the facility follow proper precautionary measures and wear the correct protective apparel as required.
- Refer individuals for advanced screening if required.
- Directing individuals to proper assessment areas as needed.
- Ability to escalate to triage or charge nurse for immediate assistance.
- Successful completion of a high school diploma
- Availability to work a variety of shifts (days, nights), 7 days per week
- Willingness to work both indoors and outdoors and to stand for extended periods of time
- Willingness to wear protective apparel (mask, gloves and gowns) and abide by requirements prescribed for their respective use
- Demonstrated strong communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Sound judgment and conflict management skills
- Reliability and punctuality
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with a variety of people in a team environment
- Ability to speak a second language(s) is considered an asset
- Demonstrated good attendance and performance records with the ability to maintain these same standards
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers