Location: Trinity Village Retirement Community, 2711 Kingsway Dr., Kitchener ON
Position start date/end dates: May 6, 2019 to August 30/2019 (dependent on funding/subject to change)
Position Condition: This job is advertised pending funding from Canada Summer Jobs 2019. Applications will be accepted and interviews undertaken, but the position will not be awarded until funding is secured through the Canada Summer Jobs Program at the end of April/beginning of May.
- Current Vulnerable Sector Police Check (if over 18 years of age)
- TB skin test
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age; preference will be given to candidates studying in a related field and/or demonstrating proven work/volunteer related experience
Remuneration: $15.50/hr for a possible 30-40 hours/week including the possibility of occasional evening or weekend.
You will find yourself working closely with the Horticultural Manager and elder volunteers/residents throughout the work term planting, watering, weeding and cultivating a variety of garden beds. Here you will find work in the green house and gardens to be people-oriented as much as it is task-oriented. Thinning the carrots may be interrupted with a question about picking flowers for a bouquet. Planting the flower pots may be accomplished by the elder residents with your assistance. Recreational Horticultural activities are woven into the fabric of life at Trinity Village. Trinity Village is committed to the Eden Alternative in elder care where life and work revolves around the elders living here.
Responsibilities working with Horticultural Manager:
- Design, plant and maintain natural environment and elder friendly gardens and berm
- Plant and maintain vegetable garden for Studios market garden sales
- Harvest vegetables, pick and deadhead flowers, prune shrubs, turn and spread compost, mulch shrub beds
- Assist in working with elderly residents in organized and spontaneous horticultural related activities
- Other duties as required
Required Skills and Abilities
- A demonstrated interest in Horticulture and
- A demonstrated interest in Recreation with Senior Citizens
- A willingness and ability to accomplish strenuous, repetitive tasks
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new skill sets
- Patience, flexibility, open mindedness, interpersonal communication skills
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Basic plant knowledge and identification
- Basic gardening skills including planting, weeding, water conservation
- An outgoing personality and ability to form meaningful relationships
- Experience working with seniors
If interested please send a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and how your skills and education meet the requirements. Please also submit a current resume.Applications that do not contain a separate detailed cover letter will NOT be considered.
Submit by April 23, 2019 to Ms. Hedi Lee, Horticulture Manager.
Job Type: Temporary