Glass Installer Lead
Operating since 1987, House of Mirrors & Glass is one of Calgary’s number one resources for glass and mirror needs, custom frames, and much more. Our showroom has been popular with homeowners, builders, and designers for hundreds of miles around. It isn’t just because we have some of Alberta’s best selection of high-quality shower doors, framed mirrors, architectural glass, and hundreds of other hard-to-find glass and mirror products, but we also offer friendly, helpful service with a smile. With core values of integrity, honesty, innovation, commitment, passion, diversity, teamwork, and delivering “wow,” our focus is to provide exceptional customer experiences.
We are looking to add a dependable and motivated Glass Installer Lead to our team, who will be responsible for handling, fabricating, installing, and removing various glass, mirror, and metal materials. Our installers work with glass and metal in various surfaces and settings, such as shower doors, mirrors, glass railings and partitions, glass furniture, display cases, backsplashes and countertops, metal channels, and within millwork applications. This role requires a candidate with the physical ability to lift and handle large and heavy pieces of glass, mirror, and various other materials.
· Load and arrange various glass, mirror, and hardware in company vehicles
· Drive company vans to installation sites, and unload glass, mirror, hardware, and tools
· Cut and fabricate various metal channels in the shop and on jobsites
· Perform daily activity work sheets (trip sheets), Hazard Assessments, vehicle inspections, and any other required paperwork related to your position.
· Move furniture or other obstacles to clear work sites, and cover floors and furnishings with drop cloths
· Drill holes using specific drill bits in a variety of stone, ceramic, porcelain, and glass tiled surfaces
· Use of battery operated power tools and hand tools
· Use of large power tools like table saws, panel saws, shop saws, and pneumatic notching machines.
· Set glass and mirror into channel, wood and metal frames, operable door hinges, and setting blocks.
· Must be able to tape-off the material we’re glazing to and also the material itself for uniformity purposes.
· Determine plumb of walls or ceilings, using laser levels and straight edges
· Perform site walk-throughs with customers to review scope of work and to show work completion
· Handling glass and mirror using suction cups and securing glazed panels and mirror products using a variety of hardware and adhesives
· Cut and remove broken glass prior to installing replacement glass
· Read drawings, work orders, and any other specific instructions for work activity
· Following and cooperating with our company health and safety program (COR)
Qualifications and requirements:
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Clean Alberta Driver’s license – class 5
· General construction knowledge and experience using a variety hand and power tools
· A minimum of 3-5 years experience installing glass and mirror products.
· Physically capable of heavy lifting at and/or above 23 kg (50 lbs) on a frequent basis, with an environment of constant standing, bending stretching and lifting.
· Mathematical skills – the ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide numbers and fractions quickly and correctly
· Organizing, planning, and prioritizing tasks on job sites
· Making decisions and problem solving while offering suggestions to the appropriate staff member and/or to the customer
· Creative thinking – outside the box approach is welcomed
· Interpersonal skills
· Cooperation – job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
· Attention to detail – job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
· Dependability – job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations
· Self-Control – job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
· Stress Tolerance – job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations
Lines of communication:
Your first point of contact for the day-to-day activities would be the Installation Coordinator. If there are any questions or concerns outside your daily activities, please meet and discuss them with:
Greg Dunn – General Manager
Tony Penton – Assistant General Manager
House of Mirrors will provide the power tools, drill bits, tape measure, olfa blades, hacksaw blades, gloves, and required PPE to perform your job. You are to bring your hand tools in your own personal toolbox or bag.
The position of a glass installer is a full-time position Monday through Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm. There may be some days that you’re asked to stay and finish up a project that would have you working past your scheduled 8-hour shift or there may be a possibility that you’d be asked to work on a Saturday.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- installing glass: 3 years (preferred)
- Alberta Driver’s license – class 5 (preferred)