Location: Dickinson House Museum, 1127 Mill Street, Manotick, Ontario, K4M 1A5
Duration: Up to 16 weeks; anticipated start May 12, 2020
Hours of Work: 9:00 to 5:00, five days per week, including week-end shifts
Languages of Work: English; English-French for 1 position; oral Mandarin or Spanish an asset.
Open to: Youth/young adults 15 to 30. Student candidates must register with Young Canada Works at www.Young-canada-works.canada.ca/Account/Register
The primary activity of a Tour Guide at Dickinson House will be to provide visitors with oral guided tours of this heritage home, which was occupied by the families who owned the historic grist mill located on Dickinson Square. Dressed in 19th-century costume, the Guide will point out the features of the house and its furnishings and tell the story of its residents from 1870 to 1972. The Guide will also respond to visitors’ questions; assist guests in use of the 3D museum tour; research and record artifacts; assist with temporary exhibits and weekend programs; and help with ongoing operation of the museum.
- Full time student, planning to return to full-time studies in the fall of 2020; or between the ages of 15 and 30, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection conferred, and holder of SIN# who is legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in the English language. Good oral communications skills in French for one position. Mandarin or Spanish will be an asset.
- Ability to listen well and respond to questions in a detailed manner.
- Friendly, outgoing and self-motivated with ability to work independently or in a team.
- Word processing computer skills.
- Previous experience in working with the public an asset.
- Period costume will be provided.
Conditions of employment:
- Ability to climb stairs on a regular basis
- Willingness to work week-end shifts
- Police records check
- First Aid Certification (training provided if needed)
- Access to transportation on weekends, as bus service to Manotick is limited to peak hour service on week days only
Please submit application, including a résumé and covering by March 31, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
The Dickinson House Museum thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All positions are subject to funding availability. The Dickinson House Museum is an equal opportunity employer. Dickinson House is not fully wheelchair accessible.
For information on Dickinson House visit www.rideautownshiphistory.org and facebook.com/dickinsonhousemuseum.
Reference ID: DH_200
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $14.00 /hour