DeGroote’s Student Experience team supports all students at the DeGroote School of Business – MBA, BCom, specialized graduate programs and PhD students, across two campuses (Hamilton and Burlington). As an integrated team, we champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually to deliver a consistent and inspiring student experience. Our school’s culture is captured by three values: Generosity, Innovation and Collaboration.
DeGroote’s student population is comprised of individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences, including more than 25% international students from around the globe. The school, faculty and staff are committed to building an inclusive community supporting all individuals.
Reporting to the Director, Student Experience, the Manager, MBA Porgrams role assumes overall responsibility for the efficient and effective delivery of academic services and in-course activities for all MBA programs ((Full-time, Co-op, Accelerated and Blended Learning Part-time) in the Faculty of Business (DeGroote School of Business).
The Manager, MBA Programs, demonstrates superb reasoning, problem solving and decision making and uses these skills to solve complex problems related to financial, physical or human resources. They will routinely collaborate with faculty, community partners, external facilitators and McMaster’s School of Graduate Studies in the fulfillment of their mandate.
The successful incumbent will provide leadership and operational excellence for the planning and execution of all academic related functions that impact DeGroote’s academic student experience including academic advising, accommodations, wellness services, co-curricular activities and exchange program activities.
As a valued member of the Student Experience team, the Manager, will contribute to the unit’s overall strategy, and provide recommendations on all business matters to the Director.
Reporting to the Director, Student Experience, assumes overall responsibility for the efficient and effective delivery of academic services and in-course activities for all MBA programs (Full-time, Co-op, Accelerated and Blended Learning Part-time) in the Faculty of Business (DeGroote School of Business).
Note: This role does not oversee DeGroote’s EMBA program.
By providing leadership and operational excellence for the planning and execution of all academic related functions that impact DeGroote’s academic student experience including academic advising, accommodations, wellness services, co-curricular activities and exchange program activities. The Manager actively supports their Student Experience manager colleagues with effective development and delivery of all activities related to the MBA programs including: recruitment activities for MBA programs, marketing, career and work integrated learning programming.
The Manager oversees program management, all financial and operational/administrative activities for the MBA programs, along with upholding AACSB accreditation requirements. The Manager will also promote the program and manage its reputation to the broader business community.
The Manager, MBA Programs is an advisor to the MBA Program Director (faculty lead), Academic and, in collaboration with the Director - Student Experience, is responsible for the efficient and effective use of financial and human resources to ensure the delivery of an exemplary academic graduate student experience aligned with the Faculty’s strategic plan.
This role will contribute to the unit’s overall strategy, provide recommendations on all business matters to the Director and implements workflows, processes and programming that align with the school’s strategic vision.
LEADERSHIP AND ADVICE – Academic Programs
- Overall responsibility for establishing academic program management strategies and action plans to deliver exceptional academic student services for all MBA programs.
- Assumes responsibilities for MBA graduate education delegated by the Dean, Associate Dean (Graduate Studies) and/or MBA Program Director, including recommendations to the Program Director for final decision-making on individual student matters.
- Makes recommendations to MBA Program Director on Petitions for Special Consideration, within the guidelines of a policy established, and occasionally modiﬁed, by the Graduate Curriculum Policy Committee.
- Provides a continuing link between incoming and outgoing Deans and Associate Deans on office procedure and policy related to MBA/graduate education, and advises on new initiatives or changes to policies and procedures at the Faculty level.
- Implements the policy decisions taken by the Faculty and University with respect to MBA/graduate students, represents the Faculty on School of Graduate Studies committees.
- Provides oversight and guidance on graduate curriculum process, advising the MBA Program Director on changes to the MBA/graduate curriculum. Recommends changes to MBA Program Director and/or Associate Dean, Graduate Studies.
- Ensures that recommended graduate curriculum changes are effectively managed and processed through the graduate curriculum governance structure and that changes are accurately reflected in Graduate Academic Calendar.
- Participates at, or accompanies MBA Program Director to meetings of University committees involving MBA/graduate matters i.e. Program Development Committee (PDC) and Graduate Curriculum and Program Committee (GCPC).
- Actively participates in annual strategic planning process with Director and Student Experience Management team, overseeing the strategic components for all MBA in-course program related.
FINANCIAL AND HUMAN RESOURCES
- Budget and operational authority for MBA Student Experience (MBA Programs) functions as described above including, reporting on variances.
- Responsible for the management of financial activity within the program including accounts receivable, accounts payable and procurement. Financial transactions with vendors, faculty members, sponsors and students are all in scope.
- Implements or develops financial templates for program administration including breakeven analysis, cost benefit analysis, and rates of pay for facilitators and other vendors which are informed by market analysis.
- Oversees and approves contracts between internal faculty or external instructors related to the BLPT MBA program; These contracts are executed in a way that ensures the long term viability of the program and are fully compliant with all regulation, statutes or McMaster University policy.
- Recommends, develops, plans and implements strategies as they relate to academic processes and activities including determining fiscal requirements, staffing requirements and policies and procedures.
- Acts as the first point of contact for all staff and labour related issues related to the areas of accountability.
- Strategically identifies and negotiates third party vendors to provide services and programming upholding an exceptional MBA student experience
- Provides leadership and direction to the staff who provide service to MBA/graduate students in the Faculty; Leads the recruitment, training and talent management of the MBA Student Experience team with a focus on professional development to yield strong outcomes aligned with strategic initiatives.
ACADEMIC ADVISING/PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- Determines, develops and implements continuous improvement programs that ensure superior service levels for all DeGroote students in the area of academic advising.
- Overall accountability for ensuring that all student academic matters are discharged in a manner consistent with all DeGroote and McMaster policies
- Ensures that each student satisﬁes all program requirements prior to graduation so that accreditation requirements are met.
- Manages MBA student academic accommodations and liaises with SAS Office to fulfill student needs to successfully complete their studies.
- Assesses and recommends plans for the effective and efficient delivery of academic support services, including student matriculation and registration troubleshooting (as required) and all international exchange program activities.
- Ensures the accurate and sensitive advising of Business MBA/graduate students on program selection, course selection and graduation requirements. Resolves problems related to these matters on referral from faculty or staff.
- Ensures that concerns of students are addressed expeditiously and that petitions for special consideration and applications for reinstatement are reviewed carefully. Within the parameters of University policy and in the context of fairness to other students, grants relief where possible and suggests alternative when the relief requested cannot be granted. Communicates negative decisions to students.
- Interprets and clariﬁes University documents relating to MBA/graduate education in accordance with the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Calendar and other relevant student policies to students, faculty and staff; Provides oversight to program specific Academic Handbook, ensuring compliance with policies established through School of Graduates Studies Graduate Academic Calendar.
- Responds to or drafts responses on behalf of MBA Program Director to student grievances, consulting as necessary with other University ofﬁces (ie. Senate Secretariat or the University Ombuds).
- Acts as a consultant to each of the MBA/graduate committees within the Faculty; Oversees ongoing activities on behalf of these committees (ie. Scholarship Committee); oversees the application and distribution of in-course named awards, scholarships and bursaries.
- Oversees the Wellness Services program offered solely to MBA students (not eligible to access Campus Health) including vendor negotiation and ongoing reporting to DeGroote’s leadership team.
- Accountable for key student programming, in partnership with other MBA Student Experience managers, including; Onboarding Week (all incoming students), and Foundations (first year students across Term 1 and Term 2).
- Overseeing all logistical preparations for online and residential modules (specific to BLPT MBA Program). The Manager oversees and executes annual and module-based planning and delivery activities, including:
- contracting with faculty members selected by Academic Director, teaching associates and contract staff members;
- solicitation of guest speakers, and making supporting arrangements;
- scheduling of class and other events during residency;
- ensuring that students are properly registered into the program and courses;
- overseeing the student payment process and ensuring that student commitments are met in a timely manner;
- directing the scheduling of online and classroom activities;
- arrangements for development and upload of online content;
- arrangements for purchasing learning materials;
- solicitation of “capstone” problems for team projects from industry partners
- Oversees the day-to-day operations (school partnerships, selection of students to study abroad, support services for visiting MBA students and reporting post-term for transcript notations) for DeGroote’s international exchange program.
REPORTING AND DATA MANAGEMENT
- Provide data and reporting in a timely manner for AACSB, IQAP, IRA.
- Establishes and meets appropriate service standards/reporting timelines that ensures the McMaster community and external community receive prompt, accurate information regarding matters relating to MBA/graduate education in the Faculty.
- Oversees written communication on MBA/graduate matters to ensure appropriateness, quality and accuracy.
- Directs the team with term forecasting and facilitates the scheduling of courses each term, in collaboration with Area Chairs and MBA Program Director.
- Responsible for establishing, maintaining and ensuring adherence to standard operating procedures, best practices and processes in a way that is compliant with McMaster policy or regulation, ensuring that that procedures enhance accountability, productivity and ensure the flawless execution of all programs.
- Collects, analyzes, assesses and summarizes information from a variety of sources and approves recommendations within a defined scope of authority or presents recommendations to senior management for approval.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, education or a related field – graduate degree preferred;
- 7+ years of progressively responsible managerial experience, preferably within an University environment
- The candidate should demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning with evidence of training in one or more of the following areas:
- Project management;
- Curriculum development;
Application deadline: 2021-04-18
Related keywords: program manager, manager
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $1.00-$2.00 per year
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Project management: 7 years (preferred)
- Curriculum development: 7 years (preferred)
- managerial/supervisory: 7 years (preferred)
- working in high education or at a University: 7 years (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings