Are you interested in helping to create a Brighter World?
McMaster University fuels curiosity, inquiry, and discovery. Every day, we push the boundaries of knowledge through our world-class, interdisciplinary research and our ground-breaking approaches to teaching and learning. Our students, researchers and staff are among the best and brightest.
University Advancement at McMaster is an integrated department that encompasses the areas of Communications & Public Affairs, Marketing, Development, Alumni Engagement, Stewardship, Volunteer Engagement and Advancement Services & Operations; areas that coordinate their activities and work as a team to build relationships, reputation, and resources.
It is our values that help us to achieve our vision and mission, Integrity, Quality, Respect, Service, Strategy and Teamwork.
Together, we enable McMaster to advance human and societal health and well-being.
Inspired by McMaster’s tradition of collaboration and innovation, we strengthen relationships, reputation, and resources in pursuit of our goal to be the best. University Advancement’s approach to realizing our mission and vision reflects these core values and principles: Integrity, Quality, Respect, Service, Strategy and Teamwork.
We are hiring for a 2 year, limited term Advancement Officer. You will play a pivotal role on the Alumni Advancement team to meet the University’s alumni relations and fundraising objectives, with a particular focus on supporting the data gathering, review and tracking of the University’s alumni programming.
Purpose and Key Functions
- Determine priorities and develop action plans, through direction of the Alumni Advancement Office.
- Provide front-line service to University’s stakeholders, in consultation with management, to ensure efficient flow of office and production services.
- Support the development and tracking of results by reviewing and analyzing projections and evaluations.
- Maintain and update information related to McMaster’s alumni, donors and friends.
- Coordinate, organize, maintain, and provide information, implement efficient record keeping systems and ensure completion of all procedures.
- Research, review and compile information.
- Coordinate event planning and execution for the faculty, office or unit(s) for a range of events related to communications, alumni relations, stewardship and engagement (i.e. gift announcements, influencer/volunteer committees, government and donor visits, etc).
- Run reports on unit goals and performance measures and present findings.
- Support the coordination, organizing, assembling, and dissemination of communications (i.e. emails, newsletters, invitations, correspondence, statements or direct mail solicitation pieces) requiring a variety of inputs and signatories from senior leaders of the University.
- Support a variety of special projects initiated by fellow colleagues in University Advancement and within faculty, office or unit(s). Work and volumes in all these areas are expected to increase as the alumni and donor base continues with projected growth.
- Monitor projects and advise department/faculty management of project status to ensure that the necessary resources are available
- Work in conjunction with their leader, to support the creation of action plans for each of the Coordinator’s business activities.
- Write well to produce communications that are clear, precise, and accurate. Frequently, the Advancement Coordinator needs to write persuasively, tactfully and/or with sensitivity in order to be successful.
- Participate in University Advancement and/or department/faculty projects such as project teams and work teams.
- 3 year Community College Diploma in a related field. A University degree is preferred. A McMaster degree would be an asset;
- Two years of relevant experience in the advancement sector, including communications and government relations, event management, volunteer management and/or fundraising;
- Experience in an educational and non-profit setting;
- End-user computer expertise is necessary;
- Knowledge of computer applications, including the Advance database system;
- Experience compiling and analyzing data and metrics;
- Knowledge of developing and managing budgets;
- A high degree of management and organizational skills;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral;
- Extensive end-user computer proficiency;
- Proven ability to effectively manage an office and support staff;
- Requires a broad knowledge-base of advancement work to be proactive, where possible, in providing excellent service and support to the team.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.