About the Senate
The Senate plays a unique role in shaping our country's democracy. As members of the upper house of Parliament, senators examine legislation, study public policy, champion causes and conduct interparliamentary diplomacy.
As a workplace, the Senate is composed of dynamic people representing our nation's diverse talents, backgrounds and perspectives. Build and advance your career by joining a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to excellence in support of senators and the institution.
How will you contribute?
Reporting to the Chief of Publications, you will be responsible for ensuring the quality of documents produced at the Senate by proofreading using our electronic document management system “IRIS”. You will be the expert in accurately and consistently verifying the quality and formatting of bilingual documents that make up the Debates of the Senate and other crucial publications. The incumbent will be an important resource called upon for advice on style, grammar, syntax, translation, coordinating and form.
The general public to staff one (1) permanent (part-time) Proofreader position within the Senate Publications office.
This selection process may be used to staff other similar positions in the future.
- Successful completion of secondary school education and/or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience directly related to the position;
- Excellent knowledge of both English and French grammar rules applicable to spelling, syntax, style, translation and form;
- Over three (3) years’ experience in editing, verifying and preparing text in a political or related environment;
- Knowledge of text composition and layout considerations; as well as proofreading codes and symbols;
- Good knowledge of MS-Word and a basic understanding of other desktop publishing tools such as Adobe Acrobat Professional Editor;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines under severe time constraints;
- Knowledge of parliamentary and government structures is considered an asset;
- Experience in using an electronic document management system is also considered an asset.
Teamwork & Cooperation
The incumbent must be willing and equipped to work remotely, as well as potentially work overnight (from 1 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. or longer, as circumstances require). The incumbent will be subject to tight production deadlines.
The Senate of Canada is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive workplace where all employees are provided full and equal access to employment, development, and advancement opportunities.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates must consent to supply personal information and obtain a security accreditation in order to be eligible for appointment.
How to apply
Alternative selection tool methods and/or reasonable accommodation for special needs are available upon request.
The use of masculine gender in the text includes feminine and is used without discrimination.
Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. You must consent to receiving e-mails from our system in your online profile.
The Senate of Canada reserves the right to retain a determined number of candidates who best meet the essential requirements of the position.
The Senate of Canada is a separate and distinct employer from the federal public service and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act.
We thank all those who apply to this selection process.
The posting closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on the closing date stated above.