The General Office Assistant (Receptionist) is primarily responsible for operating the switchboard and handling the front reception desk, however, is also involved in an array of other administrative duties in support of OEBAC where needed. Duties include but are not limited to providing switchboard and reception service, processing postal mail and courier deliveries, and providing backup coverage to other departments as needed. The General Office Assistant is required to maintain confidentiality and professionally interact with employees, union members and the public. Other duties shall be assigned as necessary.
Job Responsibilities / Duties:
1. To provide switchboard and reception services at the OEBAC Oakville facility by:
- ensuring that the front entrance exterior doors are unlocked during regular business hours;
- monitoring the presence of staff and visitors in the building;
- retrieving messages from the automated phone answering system;
- answering and directing all incoming phone calls;
- forwarding all calls or messages to the appropriate department or individual;
- responding to callers to clarify messages if required;
- directing visitors to the appropriate office or department;
- providing information and direction on available OEBAC services;
- receiving concerns and complaints from members and forwarding them to the appropriate party;
- passing messages and announcements over the public address system.
2. To assist with the processing of postal mail and courier deliveries in the OEBAC Oakville facility by:
- sorting incoming postal service deliveries;
- forwarding incoming mail to the appropriate office or department;
- preparing outgoing mail for posting;
- receiving incoming courier deliveries;
- recording the receipt of courier deliveries;
- advising the intended office or department of the delivery;
- preparing the paperwork for outgoing courier deliveries;
- requesting the courier to pickup packages for delivery.
3. To support other OEBAC departments' administrative needs when possible by:
- updating member files and records within the database as directed;
- preparing forms when needed;
- inputting members' address/phone number/email changes into the database system;
- assisting with the mailing of information and notices to the members;
- assisting members in completing forms;
- answering basic pension and benefits questions for members calling in and forwarding inquiries to the appropriate department when necessary.
4. Other duties as assigned by the Pension & Benefits Coordinator or Human Resources Department, including but not limited to:
- maintaining the OEBAC phone list, including extensions and mobile phone numbers;
- providing backup coverage to other OEBAC departments as needed;
- providing overflow phone service to members calling OEBAC with questions;
- carrying out data entry tasks for OEBAC as directed;
- 2-3 years experience as a Receptionist or in a similar role is preferred;
- Experience in a medical office and/or a benefits administration office considered an asset;
- Strong knowledge of office procedures and practices;
- Strong customer service orientation;
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization ability;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote);
- Proven organization and time management skills.
- Manual dexterity required to operate computer and peripherals;
- Interacts with employees, various management levels, and the public;
- Repetitive work.
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to the attention of the Assistant Human Resources Manager, outlining your qualifications and suitability to this position.
OEBAC welcomes applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,950.00-$54,600.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- receptionist: 2 years (preferred)