Chez Doris is a charitable organization offering a daytime shelter seven days a week for all women in difficulty. The house provides meals, respite, clothing, socio-recreational activities as well as practical assistance in a secure and accepting environment.
The Caseworker’s position is to work with the team to ensure that every woman that walks through our doors feels safe, respected and welcomed and that the services adhere to Chez Doris’ mission. He/She fulfills the services related to welcoming the women to the day shelter, and provides clothing and hygiene, meals, and access to social, recreational and health services. He/she support clients and interns in all facets of the agency’s operations.
- Welcomes clients as they come to Chez Doris, and orients new clients to the day shelter including a tour of the facility, an explanation of our services, policies, and makes introductions to employees, interns, volunteers, and fellow clients
- Ensures the care, welfare, safety, and security of clientele
- Interacts regularly with clients
- Ensures that client’s needs are fulfilled and provide active listening, facilitates friendly client interactions and de-escalates client conflicts when possible;
- Distributes clothing, linens, toiletries, and any other items supplied by the program
- Assists with monitoring breakfast and lunch, and wakes up sleeping clients for lunch
- Provides general site clean up, reporting any maintenance or janitorial needs to the Floor Team Leader
- Partakes and supervises activities in the house
Interventions and case management (external accompaniments are prescribed to certain caseworkers)
- Receives new and on-going clients for case management needs, completes intake paperwork, creates and updates proper client files, tabulates statistics and outcomes
- Reads daily log book and logs relevant observations and recommendations regarding client’s safety or health concerns, in the client’s files and/or log book
- Enforces shelter policies and supports clients to follow Chez Doris Policies and Procedures, and recommends barring clients for a specific length of time in collaboration with colleagues
- Collaborates with team, provides clients with outside care such as appointments, house visits, accompaniments, and assists with accompanying clients to and from activities if needed
- Provide crisis intervention as needed, including determining when it is necessary to involve other staff, management or the authorities
- Assists clients in completing forms and applications to receive services
Internship Supervision (prescribed to certain case workers only)
- Orients assigned interns to their duties and role at the agency.
- Explains our procedural guidelines, code of conduct, and other expectations during their internship and provide the Chez Doris manual to interns
- Provides training necessary to perform in his or her tasks, in collaboration with team.
- Ensures adequate supervision of interns’ work
- Observes interns ‘performance, and records relevant data to assess progress
- Tracks interns’ timesheets
- Participates in supervisor-teacher meetings pertaining to students’ progress or problem areas
- Attends and participates in appropriate training and education (i.e.: techniques for supervision)
- Makes arrangements to ensure continuity of supervision when the supervisor will be absent for extended time
Statistics-Administration (prescribed to one caseworker only)
- Compiles and maintains records and statistics around every client served
- Submits activity and other reports both for in house usage and for external agencies
- Updates and makes corrections to our monthly statistics and tabulates the annual statistics; for our newsletters, annual report, and board meetings.
- Ensures meticulous record keeping standards are upheld for all daily activities and programs
- Prior to closure ensure s that no clients remain anywhere in the house
- Ensures the security of staff and clientele during emergency situations as required and properly documents in the incident report binder the situation that has transpired
- Attends bi-monthly staff meeting and ensures follow-up of items pertaining to one’s self
- Networks with outside partners while maintain confidentiality and professionalism
- Other duties as assigned by the Floor Team Leader
- Degree or Diploma in a related field
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience at a non-for-profit (volunteer or employment)
- Must possess CPR certification or be willing to obtain it
- Bilingual in French and English
- Understanding of the Microsoft suite of products
- Knowledge of community resources for homelessness, mental health and substance abuse
- Ability to work with culturally diverse people
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with diverse client groups with varying levels of comprehension and language capabilities
- Effective listening and observation skills to effectively assess clients and provide appropriate consultation and or referral
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills to respond or assist in emergency situations
- Ability to work on a team
- Attention to detail
Physical Demands and Working Environment
Physical Demands: regular office with some lifting and carrying
Be able to manage physically threatening clients and be prepared to be responsible for their own safety and the safety of others
Working Environment: office - shelter environment
Working Hours: 35 hours per week. The work days are Saturday and Sunday and 3 (three) none fixed days from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
How to apply
To be considered for the position, please email a cover letter and resume to Marina Boulos-Winton and Tania Filippone. Please be sure to state the following in the subject line of your email: Caseworker 3 days + weekend. Please note that the successful candidate will have to provide references, in advance of hiring, and submit requirements for credit and criminal background checks. This position is open to both women and men. Aboriginal women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for application: as soon as possible
Please note that we will only contact candidates who correspond to the job profile.
Job Type: Full-time