Midland Public Library is looking for a fun, energetic, and outgoing customer oriented person to join our team. We’re looking for someone who is versatile, creative and friendly who wants to make a difference in their community. A dedication to customer service and a strong commitment to helping others is a must. This is an excellent opportunity for a forward thinking, community minded person to join our fast-paced public service environment.
Reporting to the Senior Circulation Clerk, the Circulation Clerk is a customer service master who is able to thrive in a rapidly changing environment. This includes circulation of library materials, providing general reader advisory and information services, registering and updating of membership records, registration for library programs, the collection of overdue fines and other related library fees, and maintaining the physical appearance, safety and security of the library, assisting other staff as needed and other tasks related to providing library services to the community. Evening and weekend work is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the daily handling of regular Library materials including, but not limited to: checking in and out, sorting and re-shelving, processing holds, emptying the book drop, answering telephone calls, acquainting borrowers with library procedures, sorting items on book carts & other circulation functions such as using the photocopier & fax machine, and selling transit tickets.
- Provides informal instruction and assistance to build skills of library users, including the use of self-check equipment, library catalogues, hand held devices and MakerPlace equipment.
- Assists patrons with discovery of library materials, library equipment and library resources including providing reader’s advisory.
- Attempts to resolve customer service issues, within the scope of library policies, before referring them to the Senior Circulation Clerk.
- Assists on the information desk as needed.
- Performs other duties as required to support library operations.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- A motivated and outgoing personality with a passion for helping the community
- Minimum of Ontario Secondary School Diploma Grade 12. Library related education or experience would be considered an asset.
- Ability to use an automated library system and familiarity with computer software and the Internet.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to project a positive, helpful image to the public
- Ability to cooperate with other staff to ensure effective and efficient delivery of library service
- Effective and creative problem solving and trouble-shooting skills
- A commitment to professional development that will model lifelong learning to the community and your co-workers.
- Physical requirements: This position will include periods of frequent standing, bending, lifting and moving library book carts of materials.
*$17.30 – $21.62 per hour* (based on related education and experience)
This position consists of varied schedules which will include day, evening and weekendshifts.
This is an ON-CALL, CASUAL position.
Closing Date: 5:00pm, May 23rd, 2019
Please apply by submitting your resume via Indeed, or by dropping your resume off at the library to:
Senior Circulation Clerk
Midland Public Library
320 King Street
The Library thanks all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted – no phone calls please.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used to determine eligibility for potential employment. Please contact the library for availability of accommodations for applicants with a disability.
Job Type: Casual