QM Environmental is one of Canada's largest full-service national decommissioning and environmental remediation firms. Always committed to health, safety and environment, QM has been experiencing consistent growth and we would like to invite you to be part of our team.
We offer exciting career growth, professional development, and a culture that is supported by teamwork and open communication. At QM, you will have the opportunity to learn from, and collaborate with, some of the most talented professionals and innovative thought-leaders in the industry.
Responsibilities and Duties
A Foreman is responsible for the following duties:
- The supervision and coordination of site personnel and subcontractors, the reporting of all relevant site activities and managing the quality of work performed
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of Health & Safety Guidelines and Quality Systems
- Applying a deductive approach when maintaining productivity and cost effectiveness
- Adherence to QMLP Operating principles, guidelines, and standards where defined
Foremen play a key role on site, helping the Superintendent execute their work plan safely and efficiently. They hold a leadership role onsite and may be called on to supervise smaller sites on their own
Health and Safety
- Be aware and willing to ensure safety compliance by all personnel on site.
- Document and Notify the Site Superintendent of any unsafe or potentially hazardous situations on site
- Ensure the appropriate safety equipment is available and worn by site personnel at all times
- Ensure that all requests to perform unsafe work practices that may result in damage to machinery, people or property are declined
- Ensure the daily work plan is completed as per the Site Superintendent’s instructions.
- Works with the Site Superintendent to plan and review overall status of project(s) on an ongoing basis
- Ensure all site resource (labour, machinery, materials, sub-contractors etc) are effectively utilized and monitored in order to achieve timely completion of projects
- Ensure all tools and equipment used onsite are taken care of and put away. Any damage or defects are to be reported to the Superintendent immediately
- Upon completion of task notify Site Superintendent to ensure all appropriate hired equipment is taken off rent
- Must have full understanding and working knowledge of the QMLP’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures, ensuring all site personnel adhere to them at all times
- Prior to the commencement of site works, gain an understanding of the relevant project specifications and drawings
- On an ongoing basis, monitor all works against specifications to ensure the continuing quality and accuracy of work performed
- Notify the Site Superintendent of any defects, mistakes, errors, contamination or variations identified
- Ensure all the applicable quality checklists are properly completed
- Ensure that relevant information is communicated to direct reports/sub-contractors enabling them to effectively carry out their functions
- Ensure that all employs have, or receive the proper training for their assigned tasks
- Be willing to receive specialized training in order to accomplish skilled tasks
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
- Gold seal and Trade Certifications are an asset
- Previous training in First Aid, PPE etc. is considered an asset but internal training and orientation will be provided as required.
- Specialized training eg: Fall Protection, Flagging etc an asset but will be provided as required.
- Demonstrated experience including supervisory or lead hand experience and considerable experience in construction and maintenance projects or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Proven track record in working in a team environment
- Thorough knowledge of all service utilities eg: natural gas, electric, water, sanitary, storm etc
- Thorough knowledge of practices, methods, equipment, materials and tools used in heavy civil construction
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work
- Ability to interpret and work from instructions, penciled plans and sketches, and blue prints
- Ability to lay out, direct, and supervise construction and major repair projects
- Ability to supervise the work of others
- Ability to understand and efficiently carry out instructions
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with superiors, subordinates, professionals, subcontractors and suppliers
- Ability to keep records and to prepare work and time reports
- Ability to use computers and is efficient with Microsoft excel
- Ability to adapt to quickly to change
- Can cope with dynamic situations
- Effective interpersonal relations with varied personality types
- Strong Leadership skills
- Show Initiative with an ability to self-start
- Thoroughness with a strong attention to details of the on site activities
- Majority of time will be spent on job site
- Use of specialized PPE may be required after appropriate training
- Work is outdoors so appropriate clothing will be required
- Travel will be required throughout BC and the Yukon. Length of shifts vary and are project specific
We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).QM Environmental welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process as well as part of employment with QM Environmental.
We appreciate your interest! Please note that once we receive your application we will contact you if your qualifications meet the requirements for the role.
Please no calls from agencies, thank you.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
- Supervisor in construction area: 3 years (Required)
- Victoria, BC (Required)
- Valid Drivers License (Required)