At UNFI Canada, we have a passion for the planet and see the big picture- doing what's right for people and the earth. We embrace change to discover what's next... and that is recruiting for new talent such as yourself!**
This role is responsible for dispatching and routing trucks in the most efficient manner to ensure on time delivery. Monitors drivers throughout the day and relays information to Customer Service to ensure the customer is informed of potential delayed deliveries or issues. Minimizes delays and reports problems. Arranges pick-ups of supplies and back-hauls from vendors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Dispatches and coordinates loading of trucks for delivery daily while utilizing cost- and time-effective routing for on time delivery. Analyzes routes for new efficiencies and organizes holiday shipping schedules.
- Assists in handling breakdowns and delays; communicates as appropriate with departments.
- Records Weekly Temporary Hours and Full-Time Hours and enters driver’s logs into PeopleNet, ensuring drivers complete as required.
- Assists Transportation Manager by providing performance feedback and notification of disciplinary and/or counseling events.
- Notifies Transportation Manager of drivers’ Ministry of Transportation violations.
- Assists with documentation of accident reports to insure they are filled out properly.
- Administers and manages 407 Transponder Toll systems for the Transportation Department.
- Assists with responding to calls and handling day-to-day issues, such as customer delays, customer orders not delivered, directions for drivers, etc.
- Assigns backhauls and Versa Loads daily and ensures tracker logs are filled in daily.
- Compiles data for weekly transportation and maintenance reports, as required.
- Assists in reviewing and reporting Company compliance rate to the Transportation Manager, as appropriate.
- Receives closings on routes from customer service.
- Verifies customers on routes and cube information.
- Records route information on transportation sheets.
- Releases routes to warehouse for batching.
- Routes new customers/special deliveries; communicates information to customer service and drivers.
- Ensures evening trucks have left on time, notifies customers if trucks are running late.
- Provides back-up support for batching processes.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a highly ethical manner and in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Performs other job duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- Previous 2-3 years transportation/dispatching experience.
- System Implementation preferred.
- Roadnet and PeopleNet Experience is an asset.
- Knowledge of provincially specific transportation and driving laws and mandates
- Excellent geographical knowledge of Ontario.
- Excellent sense of detail orientation to handle high volume of emails, phone calls and data entry; process a large number of details in coordinating loading of trucks.
- Excellent ability to work well under pressure and within short deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to provide superior customer service.
- Ability to work very effectively in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective, positive internal/external working relationships with a diverse group of individuals; a team player.
- Initiative and ability to resolve issues skillfully, appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel and Outlook; competent to learn and adapt to new computer applications, system upgrades and other technology as necessary.
UNFI believes in a diverse and accommodating workplace. UNFI encourages and promotes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, disability or otherwise. UNFI is committed to providing full accommodation for persons with disabilities in all active processes and procedures including but not limited to the recruitment process. To request any accommodation you may require to participate in the recruitment process (including alternative formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please contact the main recruiting contact for the position or Human Resources to discuss your specific needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Transportation/Dispatching: 3 years (Preferred)