Working Title: Food & Beverage Manager
Department: Food & Beverage
Date Written/Revised: June 1st 2019
Reports To: Hotel General Manager
Supervises: Assistant Food & Beverage Manager, Restaurant Servers/Room Service Attendants, Bartenders, Beverage Servers, Banquet Servers, Banquet Bartenders, Banquet Set-up Personnel, Banquet Dishwashers
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the General Manager, as the Food & Beverage Manager you will assist in the necessary planning, organization, direction and control of all Food & Beverage Outlets & Services in order to meet the goals and objectives of The Marlborough Hotel. This includes, but is not limited to Restaurant, Bar, VLT Lounge, Banquets, and Room Service etc.
- Assists the General Manager in managing the day-to-day operation of the hotels food & beverage components in accordance with established standards to achieve a friendly atmosphere of superior guest service and product quality.
- Informs the General Manager of any major decision taken which did not require his/her action and any other relevant information and keeps the General Manager promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance.
- Responsible for controls and analysis, on an on-going basis, the following:
- Sales: Responsible for maximizing revenues and flow through to meet or exceed budgeted revenues.
- Costs: Monitors monthly inventory of supplies and equipment; ensures purchases made are timely and within budget and through approved vendors.
- Planning & Communication: Attends and participates in all daily communication meetings, weekly sales meeting, pre-function meeting & Department head meeting. Communicate with other department managers and associates to provide smooth working relations between departments. Reviews all function sheets to ensure all details are discussed prior to event to ensure smooth success. Provides Executive Chef with itemized list of food items needed for all departments in a timely manner.
- Human Resources: Follows all aspects of the hotels collective bargaining agreement. Assists in the recruitment of qualified applicants. Trains employees in accordance with company standards. Motivates and gives direction to employees. Communicates & Reiterates all policies and procedures to staff. Conducts performance evaluations; prepares performance improvement plans, disciplinary documentation. Conducts daily meetings in each outlet to communicate daily activities. Conducts pre-event meetings ahead of all banquets. Writes schedules in conjunction with department lead hands.
- Quality & Presentation of Food & Beverage Products: Works closely worth Executive Chef in creating exciting popular menu development and presentation of menus Ensures that all food & beverage products are being plated in a manner that’s professional and in line with full service hotel standards & guidelines.
- Service Standards & Safety: Conducts regular meetings to provide various information including company communications, policy reviews, local property activities, goals, etc. maintains safe and secure environment for customers and employees. Ensures that all employees follow safety rules and emergency procedures. Ensures all team members who work with alcohol and VLTS hold a valid “smart choices” certification.
- Presentation, Condition & Cleanliness of Facilities & Equipment: Inspects and documents repairs and cleanliness of department with Hotel Manager to ensure optimum upkeep and repair, room cleanliness and overall property appearance in accordance with hotels policies and City of Winnipeg & Province of Manitoba health & safety regulations. Inspects each function room in conjunction with Sales Managers to ensure that the room has been set up according to the contract. Inspects cleanliness and corrects as needed.
- Quality of Entertainment: Works with General Manager to plan lounge entertainment and event entertainment for in house events. Monitors entertainment to ensure professionalism and value.
- Customer Service & Guest Satisfaction: Greets each client or onsite contact prior to event. Ensures all guests are 100% satisfied by ensuring that all guest related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with the company’s goals and objectives. Receives, investigates, and acts upon complaints from guests and employees. Completes table visits in outlets to discuss guest experience and communicates opportunities for improvement. With departments.
- Marketing & Budgets: Participates in the preparation of budgets and forecasts within food & beverage outlets and works with General Manager and Sales Managers to develop marketing strategies and developing & implementing long-range annual plans, operating reports, and forecasts. * Other duties as assigned.
- Formal education in Hotel Administration and/or combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years in a hospitality management position dealing with a functional organization
Required Skills, Experience:
Experience must include the following areas: hotel, food and beverage sales, marketing operations, budget management, and general administration.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and have significant knowledge of the hotel industry and suppliers.
- Knowledge of accounting and finance, profit loss responsibility is vital.
- Inventory control knowledge including ordering and maintaining an inventory would be an asset.
- Strong communication and comprehension skills combined with strong decision-making and problem solving
- Strong coaching, interpersonal and communication skills are a must.
- Experience working within a unionized environment an asset.
- Serving it Safe, Responsible Gaming, WHMIS, and First Aid/CPR certification.
- Must be willing to work varied shifts. (day, evening, overnight, back to back, holidays)
- Works as the Hotel Duty Manager while on shift and assumes said responsibility.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PMS systems. security systems, POS systems
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $37,000.00 /year
- Food & Beverage Management: 5 years (Required)
- Winnipeg, MB (Required)