Position: Senior Software Developer - Front-end
Position Type: Full time, permanent
Reports to: Software Development Manager, Front End
Location: Toronto, ON
Division: Postmedia Digital
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 125 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
Postmedia is looking for a senior Software Developer, Front End to help us reshape digital media in Canada. Based in our Toronto office, you will to join the team that develops and supports the applications that power some of the largest media websites in Canada like the National Post, The Sun, the Ottawa Citizen and the Montreal Gazette. We are a small team with a BIG impact: high speed and autonomy of a start-up.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, code, test, debug and document web development solutions
- Design efficient, secure software solutions to meet business needs
- Enhance and modify applications as necessary to ensure coding best practices, best performance, and an outstanding user-experience
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with existing applications
- Ensure code meets software standards
- Ensure code is accessible and comply to WCAG 2 level AA
- Ability to meet delivery dates for all development projects
- Liaise with stakeholders and other departments
- Estimate work effort for development tasks and determine technical requirements, time estimates and development schedules at a project level
- Work closely with the Development Team Lead
Who you are:
- A Front-end Web developer with 5+ years of coding.
- A passionate about web development and constantly expanding your knowledge
- A team player that has worked with Scrum, Kanban or other Agile methodology.
- Someone with a proven track record of working on advanced, scalable, interactive web applications as a front-end and/or full stack developer
- A self-learner and you engage with the product development lifecycle from concept to support
- A self starter who can work on her/his own, or who immediately seek help when needed.
- Someone with strong attention to detail, accessibility, and user experience.
- Have experience with automation and package management tools such as Grunt, NPM, Yarn, Webpack.
- Solid skills in HTML5 (IBNLT: W3C standards compliance, semantic tags, Web accessibility compliance, APIs)
- Solid skills in CSS and SCSS (IBNLT: media queries, flex box, grids, variables, cross browser support, notions of OOCSS, BEM syntax)
Nice to have:
- Have Solid skills of Python (IBNLT : Django, Django template, Jinja 2)
- Have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Are well versed in working with server-side APIs.
- Have proven record working with Google Analytics or other third party metrics tools.
- Know how to write technical documentation
- Practice TDD
- Experience and working knowledge of GPT/Google Tags
Should you be interested in this opportunity please include a cover letter and resume in one document.
Applicants must be able to provide some live example of website URLs or any single page application that they have worked on with their resume submission. Github or Gitlab account are more than welcome.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2021
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent