Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, there are (2) full-time positions available.
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
It is our mission to provide the Best Student Experience to prospective students from the initial point of interest in undergraduate programs at Western, through the information gathering, application and admission processes.
The Admissions/Liaison Officer assumes personal responsibility for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate domestic and international applicants to the University’s undergraduate degree, diploma and certificate programs. The incumbent’s mandate is to recruit the best students to the University and to ensure that the University’s admission standards are met and maintained through exemplary customer service, the adjudication of applicants, and the implementation of Senate policies governing admission and transfer credit. The incumbent represents the university at education fairs, secondary school visits and college visits, providing information and advice to prospective students, parents, guidance counsellors, teachers and the general community across Canada.
- Undergraduate degree; preferably from Western University
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ progressive administrative and customer services experience in a post-secondary environment
- Public relations experience conducting presentations in a professional capacity with demonstrated results
- Previous experience in student recruitment, admissions or counseling services is an asset
- Previous experience working with Peoplesoft or comparable Higher Education database and document imaging software preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills, including managing multiple competing priorities and the ability to adapt quickly to emerging priorities
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate complex ideas orally or verbally, and understand customer needs and expectations while providing excellent customer service
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in a professional respectful and diplomatic manner
- Judgment, analytical and problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to address issues and opportunities skills and an ability to exercise judgment within established guidelines
- Strong record of teamwork with the motivation and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Strong customer service skills to handle enquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with students, parents, guidance counselors and colleagues including senior management
- Adaptability when unexpected situations arise including inadequate physical environment when conducting presentations (e.g. too small a room, lack of functioning audio visual equipment)
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours and to travel during the recruitment season (September to November) and on occasion through the rest of the year
- Excellent driving record/skills for extensive travel throughout Ontario and Canada
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office and word processing of 60 wpm
- Ability to lift up to 44lbs (Boxes of calendars/collateral, display units)
- A working knowledge of post-secondary programs throughout Canada is an asset
Please note, successful applicants will be required to produce a current Police Vulnerable Sector record check from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.