We are all about enhancing life’s celebrations and having fun while we excel in our careers! As North America’s largest publicly traded retailer of adult beverages, we operate 240+ retail locations within Alberta, British Columbia and Alaska. Our liquor store banners include Liquor Depot, Wine and Beyond, ACE liquor, and Brown Jug. In May 2018, we changed our name to Alcanna Inc. The new name reflects the expansion of our business into two divisions: alcohol and cannabis. We proudly operate 8 Nova Cannabis locations in Alberta!
About the Role
The Business Technology Data Analytics & Insights team at ALCANNA is currently looking for a Data Analyst with strong experience working with Microsoft’s BI (SQL Server stack – SSMS, SSIS, SSRS, PowerBI etc.) environments. This position will be actively involved in working with the business stakeholders to understand their business reporting requirements, analyze their data and provide information and insight using reporting tools.
The ideal candidate would also have a penchant for learning emerging technologies like machine learning and data science, excellent communication skills, and has a proven track record of solving complex problems and influencing teams to understand the value of data.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, develop, test, and deploy reports using primarily SQL, and secondarily other development tools such as SSRS, Power BI, SSIS, statistical software, and Excel (pivot tables)
- Develop, document, and evolve standards and processes for data governance, operations, and metadata management
- Develop, adhere to and enhance existing data security, privacy, and regulatory standards and processes
- Develop, analyze and maintain metrics for measuring adherence and improvements in data governance
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Data Governance Policy documents
- Develop data collection tools and templates to ensure master data requirements are gathered and mapped correctly
- Analyze data trends to ensure consistency and continuously improve data maintenance techniques
- Provide data analysis support and expertise to end users and other team members.
- Help drive and define and establish data cleansing business logic and business process workflows in partnership with other business colleagues
- Liaise with functional areas and colleagues to ensure data quality requirements are being met and take ownership of subsequent improvement tasks
- Special projects and related duties as required
Experience and Qualifications
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or business administration, or related field
- Solid knowledge of finance, supply chain & retail business functions and information needs
- Minimum, 5-years’ experience working with Microsoft SQL server, SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration Services
- Knowledge of Power BI, Python, DAX and Dynamics 365 for Retail would be considered an asset
- Understanding of business and technical metadata, data modeling and dimensional modelling
- Working knowledge of Data Governance, MDM, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence and Data Quality
- Expert level Excel and data analysis skills
Personal Characteristics and Requirements
- Strong analytical, customer service and problem-solving abilities
- Experience working both independently and, in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and demonstrated success in working with cross-functional teams
- Maintain a professional appearance and demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and discretion regarding integrity opportunities
- Demonstrate ethical and safe work practices
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, and as part of a team
- Act with a sense of urgency and demonstrate situational awareness and care
- Excellent active listening and dispute resolution skills.
- Highly organized and can prioritize tasks as appropriate
- Ability to be flexible, in keeping with the needs of our growing company and gaming industry
- Must pass a basic security clearance
- Access to reliable transportation
If you are excited about this dynamic opportunity and meet the criteria listed above, we want to hear from you! Please submit a copy of your cover letter, resume and references to Indeed.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest in Alcanna; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Job Type: Full-time
- Excel: 5 years (Preferred)
- Microsoft Sql Server: 5 years (Required)
- SQL Server Reporting Services: 5 years (Required)
- SQL Server Integration Services: 5 years (Required)
- Power BI/Python/DAX and/or Dynamics 365: 3 years (Preferred)
- Finance/Supply Chain/Retail Business Functions: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Edmonton, AB (Preferred)