The award-winning BC Place is currently in search for a Senior Manager of Facility Operations to join our team. This exciting position plays a “mission critical” role in the success of the stadium and event operations at BC Place. This role is responsible for a wide variety of activities converting the stadium to different event configurations such as football, soccer, and concerts. This role is also responsible for the operation and maintenance of the stadiums retractable and secondary roof systems.
BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) is a provincial Crown Corporation with a significant mandate to generate economic and community benefit for the people of British Columbia through its world-class facilities - BC Place Stadium and the Vancouver Convention Centre. Our internationally-recognized facilities host a diverse range of events, from global summit meetings, professional and amateur sports to trade and consumer shows, and cultural, film and entertainment events, generating in excess of $400 million annually of economic benefit.
PavCo is recognized as a global leader in venue development, marketing, and management. The Province’s flagship stadium, BC Place is proudly referred to as “Canada’s Home Stadium” for international sporting events. The iconic Vancouver Convention Centre is the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention facility and has twice been named “World’s Best Convention Centre”.
Across all business units, PavCo’s team of approximately 800 staff collaborate with a diverse range of local and international partners, official suppliers with over 1,400 staff, and clientele to host an exciting year-round schedule of events. Together, we consistently deliver an outstanding level of commitment, skill, and professionalism as we host exceptional experiences for a global audience.
WHY WORK WITH US:
BC Place is the largest sports, exhibition, and entertainment venue of its kind in British Columbia, hosting world-class entertainment events, professional and amateur sport, community gatherings and exhibitions in its stunning downtown location in Vancouver, British Columbia. BC Place is the home of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, the BC Lions Football Club, the Canada Sevens and the BC Sports Hall of Fame.
Our team of 600+ employees is proud to have been instrumental in hosting some of the most memorable events in Canada, including:
- The Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- The FIFA Women's World Cup
- Multiple CFL Grey Cup Championships
- The 2014 NHL Heritage Classic
- Canada’s Men’s and Women’s National Soccer Team matches
- The Canada Sevens, part of the World Rugby Sevens Series
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC of Major League Soccer (MLS) and the BC Lions Football Club of the Canadian Football League (CFL)
- Sold out concerts for Taylor Swift, AC/DC, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, and many more
It takes great people to host BC’s biggest and brightest events. We provide our team with industry-leading Service Excellence and Game Day Training to enable them to shine. At BC Place, you get to be part of a team that thrives in a fast-paced, high energy environment and takes true ownership in delivering exceptional, memorable experiences.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Responsible for the operation, and overseeing the maintenance of the stadiums retractable roof ensuring that the stadium provides the most efficient and flexible experience for guests and partners;
- Takes overall responsibility for the conversion process in terms of efficiency, safety, operating procedures and training for various components: turf (usage, maintenance, and protection), floor, retractable seating units, secondary roof, specific sports and concert requirements, etc;
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and management of all work policies and procedures related to all aspects of conversion. Ensure these policies and procedures are safe and in compliance with WorkSafe BC regulations;
- Represent facility management to clients (partners), show managers, general public and staff; ensuring client requests and event requirements are dealt with in a professional manner and consistent with BC Place values;
- Act as the direct liaison between BC Place and the sports clubs (Lions and Whitecaps) with respect to their field of play requirements;
- Ensure a smooth transition to next shift including effective crew communications, covering conversion, operational updates, and follow-up, reporting, etc;
- Assist in recruitment and hiring for department staff and ensuring appropriate staffing levels are maintained in partnership with Human Resources. Develop and maintain hiring criteria, onboarding for success and managing performance;
- Review and analyze the requirement and deployment of technical services staff in conjunction with conversions to ensure the most productive and efficient use of resources;
- Build teamwork and collaborate with other team members, consistent with BC Place values ensure effective, open and timely communication and optimal stadium operations;
- Administer and report against annual operating budget for area of responsibility;
- Work with Purchasing regarding the acquisition of materials, parts, and tools for efficient and timely work execution by meeting with and acting as a technical advisor with suppliers as necessary. Act as the direct liaison with manufacturers and suppliers on warranties, service contracts, after sales support, manufacturer safety recommendations, etc;
- Responsible for annual inspections on assets and equipment that are related to conversion;
- Develop and maintain accurate and accessible records, reports and related drawings;
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Proven track record building high performing teams and building trust;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an operational leadership role, large facility and or equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Post-secondary education in either science, engineering, building, and facility management, or post-secondary diploma/certificate in interprovincial trade, or equivalent combination of training, knowledge, and experience;
- Demonstrated ability to set and align goals and performance standards and engage employees as a strong leader who develops talent and a sense of team;
- Good organizational skills; demonstrated the ability to prioritize conflicting requirements in a timely manner; A sound working knowledge of a wide variety of software applications, internet communications, and research;
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve high standards and achieve them through the cooperation of direct reports and extended team;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with health and safety regulations including
- WorkSafe BC;
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, computer skills, interpersonal skills;
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings, as required by the stadium event schedule;
- Experience supervising in a unionized work environment and administration of collective agreements an asset;
- Guided by values that align with BC Place values and committed to service excellence.
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative team dedicated to achieving outstanding results.
The team at PavCo thanks you for your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent