Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Risk Analyst,
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact [email protected]
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of Risk Management and/or Internal Audit, Engineering, Business Administration, Quality /Continuous Improvement, Finance, Project Management, or equivalent experience.
- Intermediate experience with an industry recognized Risk Management tool such as Risk Predict is considered as asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of risk management principles, concepts, standards (e.g., ISO 31000, 16085), practices and tools
- A minimum of 2-4 years' experience in the following fields:
- Risk Management and/or Internal Audit and/or Quality & Continuous Improvement in a shipbuilding, or engineering environment, with large, complex projects
- Project Management or Engineering on large, complex defence projects
- Experience managing risk catalogs and performing risk assessments
- Experience in negotiating, mediating, and facilitating discussions with key stakeholders to achieve consensus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Key attributes will include:
- Proven background and experience in Risk Management and/or Internal Audit and/or Quality & Continuous Improvement
- Proven experience in data analysis
- Proactive - Requires little direction once tasked, acts on initiative, reads intent, uses judgement
- Innovative - Ability to learn or adapt new processes
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Organized with excellent attention to detail (repeatable accuracy of data)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including advanced proficiency in Excel
- Effective communication and presentation skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Support the maintenance and updating of the Predict! Risk management software;
- Perform risk management data analysis to support periodic and ad hoc risk management reporting;
- Support the implementation of the overall risk management process for the project;
- Support the development of risk plans, processes, and procedures as required
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Liaise with all departments to ensure project data is aligned;
- Support the Program Risk Manager's efforts to build awareness of risks and risk management philosophy, concepts, methods, and tools amongst staff by providing support and training within the project team; and
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm, and a proactive nature within the team.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.