Position Title: Kitchen Supervisor, The Spoke
Supervisor: Kitchen Lead, The Spoke
Remuneration: $17-$20 per hour
Hours of Work: Full-Time
The Kitchen Supervisor is responsible for directing staff through a service impact role with a focus on shift management, customer service, quality control, and staff training. In addition, the Kitchen Supervisor will contribute to the development of creative and innovative new menu items.
The Kitchen Supervisor will strive for maximum efficiency and continual improvement of BOH staff productivity. They will also train employees in methods of cooking, preparation, presentation, portion control, waste reduction and sanitation processes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly perform hands-on work to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations in the Kitchen
- Contribute to the execution of all prep management systems including completing and monitoring the daily prep list.
- Ensure all Spoke catering and bulk orders are prepared and delivered on time to customer specifications
- Ensure proper storage and labelling of prepared products, adhering to product management system standards.
- Ensure all Spoke product receiving systems are adhered to. Inspect product quality on arrival and look for missing items
- Execute and ensure completion of all daily/weekly kitchen cleaning checklists and duties
- Use of daily labour cards to track and monitor daily kitchen shifts, sick calls and make employee punch adjusts to ensure accurate labour tracking and payroll
- Attend operational meetings as required
- Execute managerial opening and closing duties as assigned
- Maintain fast, accurate service, positive guest experience and ensure Kitchen products are consistently made to Spoke recipe specifications and standards
- Effectively deal with and remediate any onshift customer complaints
- Ensure all Cashiers are knowledgeable when it comes to menu ingredients, allergy and special dietary accommodations for customers
- Ensure that Kitchen meal ticket time expectations are being met and used as a motivator to increase efficiency for the Spoke part-time team
- Ensure all Kitchen workstations are set up for maximum efficiency, reducing steps and saving valuable time when possible
- Conduct Kitchen line checks daily to ensure appropriate inventory levels, product rotation, portion control and that all sections are set up and rush ready
- Assist the KM in achieving budget targets through on shift reduction of labour, waste reduction, minimization of product spoilage, and a focus on recipe adherence.
Student Development / Training
- Recruit, interview, hire and discipline when necessary, part-time Kitchen and Cafe team members. Ensure the Spoke is appropriately staffed to cover all scheduling needs, accounting for turnover rates,
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and ensure the completion and delivery of two performance appraisals for all Cafe staff, one per semester.
- Contribute to the development, training, oversight and direction of Student Development positions in the Kitchen
- Assist the KM in the development of all Kitchen training materials and policies in cooperation/approval of the Spoke’s Kitchen Manager.
- Motivate and train all Spoke part-time Kitchen staff using the Spoke Learning Management System as well as provide hands-on in person training.
Cleaning, Maintenance and Health & Safety
- Ensure the Occupational Health & Safety Act, local health and safety codes, as well as USC Health & Safety policies are being adhered to
- Promptly complete incident reports / forms for all accidents, injuries and incidents that take place in the Spoke and notify Senior Manager of any incident of injury, violence, harassment or other significant occurrence
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and in excellent working condition through personal inspection, preventative maintenance and respond to any deficiencies communicated from Spoke employees
- Ensure the training of Kitchen employees in the safe operation of hazardous kitchen equipment and tools
- Responsible for executing appropriate cleaning schedules for equipment, floors, walls hoods, other equipment and food storage areas
- Responsible for training employees in sanitation process and safe use of chemicals
- Ensure staff are trained on and execute The Spoke’s sustainable practices in the preparation and service of food and beverage in the Kitchen. This includes reducing food waste, composting, and focusing on energy consumption in the operation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Computer Skills: Must be proficient with data processing software including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google docs, sheets, slides and calendar. Must have the ability to utilize computerized business tools such as email, learning management systems, POS, inventory management software and other appropriate online tools.
- Business/ Math Aptitude: This position requires business and math skills with the ability to work accurately with cash.
- Communication Skills: This position requires written, verbal and group communication skills.
- Problem Solving/ Decision Making Skills: This position requires strong problem solving and decision making skills, and the ability to be flexible and adaptive in any situation.
- Conflict Resolution: Ability to remain calm and professional in a stressful fast pace work environment. The ability to de-escalate and resolve conflict with customers, Spoke employees and fellow USC managers. Which could involve irate or possibly intoxicated patrons or high stress situations.
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of various kitchen equipment
Education / Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in various kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fryer cook or expediter
- A passion for food and service is a must
Certifications / Specialized training
- Food Safety Certified (Basic Level)
- Fire safety trained - Western Fire Prevention
Any training and certifications needed for this position will be provided by the Spoke.
Interested in working with our dynamic team in a fast paced environment that focuses on staying current with student trends? Apply today!
The University Students’ Council of the University of Western Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. The USC is committed to providing accommodations to those with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Reference ID: 5
Contract length: 12 months
Application deadline: 2021-08-15
Expected start date: 2021-08-23
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $17.00-$20.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift