Job Description: Controller
The Controller will manage all accounting activities for Ventura Foods Canada (VFC) including compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Corporate policies and External audits. This person will manage all Standard Cost activities, Inventory Valuation, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Billing & Collection, Payroll entries, Month-end closing of accounts and preparation of Financial Reporting Package in support of the Financial Statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cashflow).
The Controller will report to and work closely with the Director of Finance (USA) with a dotted reporting line to the General Manager (Canada). The person will also work closely with other members of the organization in the analysis and reconciliation of accounts and in the development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
Reporting into this role will be the Accounting Manager/Supervisor, AR Team, AP Team and Treasury, a total of 6-7 members of the VFC Accounting team.
The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership skills, solid operational and technical accounting knowledge and works proactively to drive results and accuracy. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goals-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Manage the monthly accounting close process; including ensuring all revenue and cost is properly recorded on an accrual basis, reviewing journal entries, account balance reconciliations and reporting package preparation.
- Responsible for development and management of comprehensive Standard Cost methodology and periodic cost-roll process across the network.
- Analyze manufacturing variances including direct labour, overhead spend, volume, price and usage.
- Manage inventory valuation across the supply chain.
- Address inventory control issues to drive for high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures.
- Continued focus on improving AR/AP and Financial Reporting process efficiencies and business practices.
- Participate in strategic financial/accounting/IT projects including implementation of ERP software and modules.
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies and segregation of duties.
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance.
- Interacts at all levels and with budget owners or other stakeholders to produce timely, efficient and accurate month-end close and all internal management and financial reporting.
- Responsible for managing the chart of accounts and accuracy in the general ledger and financial statements and has ultimate authority over classification and booking of all transactions.
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices, regulations and guidelines to ensure correct application of GAAP.
- Establish the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud.
- Prepare detailed journal entries, accruals and account analyses to be approved by the Director of Finance periodically.
- Assist with compilation of information for preparing tax returns, HST filing and other interest income/expenses.
- Work with Audit, Tax and Treasury to ensure overall coordination of all financial accounting activities for the month-end.
- Work closely with Ventura Foods Corporate accounting team to actively review and align on financial/accounting processes changes.
- Be the strategic thought partner for VFC Director of Finance and the VFUS Accounting Director.
- Coach, mentor and develop the Accounting team on best practices to drive efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Provide the Accounting team with guidance and analytics on handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving difficult processes.
- Strive to build a sense of ownership within the Accounting team.
- 10+ years relevant Accounting experience required.
- CPA/CA or CPA/CGA qualification preferred.
- Manufacturing and Inventory Accounting experience required.
- Solid experience in a Standard Cost operating environment highly desirable.
- Proven track record of driving continuous improvement.
- Strong analytical skills to quickly identify root-causes, build hypotheses and make recommendations.
- Ability to clearly communicate operational and technical accounting issues.
- Audit and financial reporting experience is required.
- Solid experience with GAAP and financial statement analysis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership and motivation skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- controller: 5 years (Preferred)