Scientist (Soil Testing)
Destiny Bioscience, Edmonton is strengthening its presence in the Canadian cannabis sector with organic grow inputs, specialty organic fertilizers, growth promoters and composts produced using premium and certified organic inputs. With state-of-the-art organic soil production facilities in Grand Forks, British Columbia and Edmonton, Alberta, the company is establishing a strong foothold in garden and horticulture sector in Canada with a significant sales and distribution network.
Reporting to the Director-Grow Systems Operations and Chief Science Officer in accordance with strategic direction provided by company leadership, the successful candidate will play an important role in soil and input testing as a part of quality management system. The successful candidate will define and execute soil testing strategy to produce high quality soil mixes and growth promoters and will also be responsible for integrating traditional and modern soil testing tools to establish and run soil testing laboratory.
- Work closely with Destiny Organics production and research team to integrate knowledge and expertise on soil nutrient analysis, especially targeted towards product consistency and input quality (physical as well as nutrient)
- Establishing and operating a soil testing laboratory covering analysis of micro and macro elements, soil physical, mechanical and chemical properties
- Collect and analyze growing medium/soil/bio-fertilizer samples for nutrient and other features to support production and sales. Testing for nutrient levels, soil acidity and Cation Exchange capacity, organic matter, soil health.
- Managing soil sample receiving, soil testing scheduling and lab operations for timely reporting through Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Significant experience with ICP, IR and wet chemical analysis in a regulated soil science laboratory environment preferred
- Investigate issues related to grow mix and bio-fertilizer to assure compliance with applicable regulations
- Provide advice on grow system and bio-fertilizer uses to horticulture and garden growers by supporting technical literature, data and product promotion events
- Write and manage grants with internal and external partners to advance understanding of Destiny Organics products and their advantages
- Study growing mix composition, as well as nutrient movement from growing mixture to plant and water systems
- Study living organisms in the soil and their benefits for plant growth as a part of ecosystem function and stability
- Study plant response to added nutrients and amendments
- Maintain professional academic, regular industry, and scientific community contacts
- Attend professional meetings to represent company’s soil testing program, promote new products, and to learn and collect information relevant to the new grow system product development
- Managing, supporting and training soil testing technicians as well as field staff
- Maximizing resource use efficiency allocated to soil testing program: human, technical, and financial
- Plan, prepare and ensure proper disbursement of the soil testing program budget
- Maintains a clean, safe and orderly lab environment. Uses quality control references and responsible for calibration of equipment.
The successful candidate will posses the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. in soil science with specialization in soil testing or M.Sc. in soil science with 3-year experience soil testing lab
- Strong background in soil nutrient analysis, organic farming, and crop production
- Attention to details about sample and data management as well as other reporting and lab management related documentation
- Strong networking and communication skills to work efficiently in a diverse team
Able to identify priorities in a multi-tasking environment
- Demonstrated written and oral skills for communicating technical specifications of the products to the growers or product promotion personnel
- Strong background in designing experiments, conducting, data collection and analysis with statistical analysis for reporting results
- Sound experience of soil testing lab management, budgeting and reporting
- Proficient in English. French is plus
- High level of integrity and accountability
- Excellent attention to details
- Ability to work independently as well as a good team player
- Ability to analyze and communicate information in an effective and accurate manner
- Strong ability towards report writing, presenting and publishing in peer reviewed, reputed high impact factor international journals
- Detail oriented for safe work procedures in lab and greenhouse work conditions
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as required for this position.
Application should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of references;
- Transcripts of all courses;
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online by 26 April 2019.
We appreciate your interest in Destiny Bioscience. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Destiny Bioscience is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
Job Type: Full-time