Schedule up to 20 hours per week
Education Level Completed a relevant post-secondary degree
Salary $21.00/ hour
Department, Unit or Project Description
- This is a part-time position requiring up to twenty hours a week, with time off for statutory holidays and weekends
- You will be under the direction of the CEO of EC Innovations Inc. (ECI) as you work in the Vascular Outpatient Clinic at Hamilton General Hospital, in cooperation with the project team including the Project Manager, the Operations Manager and the Nudging Support Expert. You will be working with outpatients with Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) that attend the clinic, after they complete appointments with their physicians
- Your main responsibility will be to recruit outpatients with PAD to participate in a clinical trial of an online system called MyPADMGT, including the following:
o Provide information and discuss the trial with all outpatients who agree to participate
o Collect certain personal information from the participants and enter it online in a secure database
o Give randomly selected two-thirds of the participants automatic blood pressure monitors and sign them up with loan agreements for computer tablets that will help them to access MyPADMGT
o Assign identifying codes to these participants that will help maintain their privacy online
o Train participants in the use of the equipment and how to enter and retrieve data about their personal health-related activities throughout the 12 months they will be associated with the trial
o Administer three short computer-based questionnaires to participants and ensure that the results are saved in a secure online database
o Ensure that equipment brought to the hospital to provide to outpatients is safeguarded in a secure place at all times, including times when you are not working with outpatients
o Track location of computer tablets on ECI Asset Inventory management documents
- Any other work activities that will contribute to the ongoing successful participation of PAD outpatients in the MyPADMGT project
- Liaise with the Vascular Clinic Staff Person in maintaining a friendly and cooperative environment. Keep open communication with this person at all times
- Liaise with the onsite Vascular Clinic Research Person to ensure the highest standards of Research Practice are maintained in terms of privacy, confidentiality and professional practice
- Attend team and study meetings and provide regular reports to the project team as required
- If you have not already qualified for TCPS 2 or equivalent ethical certification you will be required to complete the required training before entering this position.
Provide research support for faculty members in their teaching, research and laboratory activities. Work is performed independently, with the availability of direction and guidance from Research Staff or Manager.
1. Adhering to established research methodology, gather and compile data for the research study or project.
2. Modify and adapt research methods, techniques or procedures, based on deviations in experimental results.
3. Record, classify, and summarize research data according to established procedures.
4. Conduct structured participant interviews and focus groups.
5. Carry out intermediate level statistical analyses.
6. Contribute to the preparation of data for reports, journal articles, papers, etc.
7. Conduct literature reviews and synthesize findings.
8. Perform other related tasks as outlined by the researcher.
Completed a relevant post-secondary degree.
Minimum of 6 months of related experience in a research environment.
Typical office environment
Work performed under general guidance and direction
Do not participate in the development of operations documents, promotional strategies or related materials.
Do not provide training sessions to project personnel.
Do not exercise budget controls, monitor or reconcile accounts.
Do not demonstrate or train others on experimental techniques or on the operation of laboratory equipment.
Significant experience working as a research assistant in a hospital environment.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Thank you for your interest, however only those selected will be contacted.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.