Controller, Growth & Innovation - ( 230003QZ )
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works to support operational excellence. The Stantec community unites more than 28,000 employees working in over 400 locations across 6 continents. Our Functional Services Teams (FSTs) include Corporate Development, Finance, HR, HSSE, IT, Legal, Marketing/Communications, Practice Services and Real Estate and Procurement. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our FSTs are vital to making our Company stronger. Explore opportunities in Financial Services.
As a member of the Financial Services team, the Controller, Growth & Innovation will partner closely with the Executive Vice President, Chief Growth & Innovation Officer (“CGIO"), Senior Vice President, Marketing, Communications & PR (“Marketing”), Chief Technology Officer (“CTO”) and Senior Vice President, Innovation (“Innovation”), and participate in all financial aspects of the respective functional services team operations (“FSTs”).
This position reports directly to the Vice President Valuations, Planning & Transaction services and indirectly to the CGIO, Marketing, CTO and Innovation leaders. The position is accountable for developing and completing the financial and operational accounting processes, systems, controls, policies, and reporting and analysis as required by the FSTs and the broader Stantec finance team.
Your Key Responsibilities
- As part of an entrepreneurial, fast-moving operation within a large and established business, investigate, establish, and administer beginning to end cost effective core systems, processes, controls, reporting requirements and policies which aligns to Stantec’s overall core practices and policies where applicable.
- Until the operations scale, this role will bootstrap most finance responsibilities such as accounting, reporting, project management, billing, collections, and other roles as required.
- Assist with annual Research and Development tax credit initiatives.
CGO, Innovation and Marketing
- Acts as a financial business partner to the CGIO, Innovation, CTO and Marketing leaders, and is an active member of their senior operating management teams.
- This position is responsible for recruiting, leading, coaching, mentoring, and training new finance team members. In addition, the role will participate in training of new leaders on key financial aspects of their roles.
- Provide reporting, analysis, recommendations for continuous improvement, and management support to the CGIO, Innovation, CTO and Marketing teams, including regular monthly and quarterly reporting, identification of performance issues, and propose mitigation plans.
- Participate and compile financial information for the monthly executive calls with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and Business Operating Unit leaders.
- Perform or oversee various ad hoc analysis such as:
+ Assist with development or refinement of business unit’s KPIs to drive performance.
+ Work with senior leadership to prioritize and develop business cases/plans for strategic initiatives.
+ Develop and track cost/benefit analyses of strategic investments and recommend action when appropriate.
+ Review spending and develop appropriate assessment and recommendations to leadership.
+ Collaborate with management to solve problems and to provide the information required to make decisions.
+ Develop price and costing models and strategies to support operations on internal and external customer contracts.
+ Other special projects as required.
- Play a key facilitator role in driving monthly forecasts, annual target setting and budgeting, and three-year financial forecasting processes.
- Establish financial services best practices specific to the needs of the FSTs and appropriately coordinates the roll out and change management.
- Foster cross-functional calls between groups that would benefit from discussion, and collaborates well with other controllers, and corporate peers.
- Participate in governance calls on major projects.
- Coordinate regional activities related to external and internal (SOX) audit processes, ensuring that key controls for financial reporting related to Stantec’s SOX internal control program are effective and operational.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, practices, procedures, and protocols where applicable.
- Work closely with the broader finance team to ensure accurate reporting that complies with IFRS within a strong control environment.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills, and ability to clearly present quantitative and qualitative information to all levels of management and effectively interact and community, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse workforce.
- Demonstrated maturity and ability to develop relationships with senior levels of management. Credibility, professional integrity, and ability to respectively challenge at the highest level is required.
- Client-focused in the delivery of services in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Strong business acumen.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to interact and work effectively independently, and as part of a team.
- An analytical mind, and comfortable with ability to navigate without a road map (ambiguity)
- Ability to assess priorities, coordinate projects and meet deadlines.
- A detailed orientation with strong analytical and problem-solving skills and conviction in one’s own decision marking to drive high performance and deliver results.
- A commitment to continuous learning and process improvements.
Education & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or in another related discipline, and a related designation (CPA, CBV or CFA preferred) plus a minimum of ten years’ related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience in Financial Reporting, planning, and analysis.
- Prior financial advisor experience, leading change and demonstrating consistent progression of increasing job responsibilities and scope.
- In depth knowledge of IFRS, tax, SOX controls and risk management practices
- Experience with Oracle and PBSC including strategic modelling would be preferred.
- Expert financial modelling, analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong understanding of IFRS and SOX controls.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Organization : BC-1195 Financial Services-CA Finance & Treasury
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 26, 2023, 1:56:33 PM
Req ID: 230003QZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans