PEOPLE & CULTURE MANAGER
Why this role?
BOYNECLARKE LLP is currently seeking an experienced People and Culture Manager to join our HR team and continue to drive an engaging and rewarding work experience for every one of our valued colleagues.
Reporting to our Director, Operations, this unique and exciting opportunity is ideally suited for a dynamic HR professional who thrives in a complex, nuanced business environment with a focus on supporting employees and nurturing our BOYNECLARKE culture.
Collaborating closely with internal stakeholders, the People & Culture Manager (PCM) will work to enhance the overall employee experience, optimize HR operations, and support the implementation of the People and Culture strategy. This is a well-rounded, hands-on generalist role, where the PCM is accountable for day-to-day HR operations including management of the People & Culture team, engaging with colleagues across the firm as a manager, and supporting the evolution from HR to People and Culture.
The PCM plays an active role in the development and roll-out of initiatives across multiple functional areas to enhance our employee experience including recruitment and onboarding, retention, compensation & benefits, HRIS, performance management, and learning and development.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
Generous paid time off;
- Access to free 24/7 Virtual Health Care
- Excellent benefits (some fully paid by firm, some cost-shared);
- RRSP matching program;
- Health and Wellness focus, including a wellness allowance;
- Flexible work-life integration.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Support a positive employee experience by consistently leading with respect and a focus on collaboration, progress, and growth;
- Actively lead, mentor, develop, and train the P&C team while working collaboratively to develop, communicate, and implement new and updated policies and procedures. Own the maintenance, review, and updating of HR policies and procedures; Responsible for ensuring all HR processes and procedures are well-documented, clearly communicated, and accessible;
- Work collaboratively and effectively with internal stakeholders to ensure success while completing day-to-day HR operational work in recruitment, onboarding, compensation & benefits, performance management, employee experience, people logistics such as internal transfers, leaves of absence, accommodations, scheduling, etc.;
- Actively listen to employee feedback and suggestions, seek to understand what is important to colleagues, and work towards creating an environment where everyone feels valued and supported; Work with leadership and departmental teams to better understand our business priorities and how People & Culture can support progress through engagement and evolution;
- Actively manage a team of legal support staff which includes resourcing, workload distribution, oversight of absence scheduling and coverage, relationship building, communicating proactively, responding promptly to inquiries, conflict transformation, performance reviews, departures, etc.;
- Lead and/or provide oversight for annual requirements such as the benefits re-enrolment and plan renewal, performance reviews, compensation adjustments, vacation planning, policy revision, audits, etc.;
- Support the holistic wellness of colleagues at the firm through various programs such as the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Social Committee, wellness initiatives, group benefits, and other employee perks and benefits;
- Accountable for data integrity of all HR systems, tools, files, and documentation. Generate and share data-driven insights to increase HR team efficiency, create enhancements for programs, processes, and the employee experience, and provide recommendations to support business objectives; and,
- Proactively recommend, create, and implement new approaches, policies, procedures, and programs for continuous improvement in efficiency and effectiveness within People & Culture in collaboration with the Director of Operations and the People and Culture team.
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
Previous HR Manager experience with a progressive increase in responsibility in the full scope of the human resources function, including but not limited to recruitment, onboarding, training, performance management, compensation and benefits, employee experience and engagement, and departures;
- Positive, authentic, fully inclusive, and equitable approach with the ability to thrive in a team environment and work well independently;
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills with the ability to build cohesion across all levels of the organization. Proven ability to respond professionally to sensitive inquiries or situations;
- Strong desire to seek and value input of others while having the confidence to share ideas and guide change coupled with a genuinely engaging approach with excellent written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated curiosity, analytical nature, and problem-solving skills, ability to make independent decisions and manage priorities;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including effective prioritization, follow-through, and follow-up. Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and diverse stakeholders;
- Flexible and adaptable, with a clear focus on meeting or exceeding individual, team, and organizational objectives;
- Must be able to work effectively at both operational and strategic levels with a solid understanding of people, business, and HR;
- Technically capable with a strong grasp of MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and HR tools, such as LinkedIn, HRIS (BambooHR), administrator sites, intranet, etc.;
- Current and continuing knowledge of legislative compliance with respect to relevant employment, labour, and health & safety legislation as well as promising practices and trends in the field of HR;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professional judgment, confidentiality, tact, diplomacy, and discretion at all times;
- Post-Secondary education (degree or certificate) in Human Resources or related field and CPHR designation preferred;
- Prior experience in a dynamic, complex, and nuanced Professional Services environment would be considered a significant asset.
Why BOYNECLARKE LLP?
We are a dynamic, fast-growing, full-service law firm located in downtown Dartmouth with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. We understand that the success and well-being of our clients and our colleagues is often rooted in our shared community, which is why we are deeply invested in giving back. We strengthen and support our commitment to community through various programs and initiatives including volunteer time programs, employee-driven initiatives, and monthly community giving to employee-selected charities.
We also understand that work-life integration, health, and wellness play an important role in our team’s ability to be successful and maintain a vibrant working environment. Through social activities, financial literacy programs, fitness classes, wellness subsidy program, and committee-driven initiatives, our colleagues thrive at BOYNECLARKE (and they have for over 50 years!).