Why join us?
Are you looking to join a dynamic pension plan that embodies the strong values of its 500,000 members and is an industry leading global investor? If so, we would love to tell you our story.
At OMERS we put our people first and are proud to embrace the diversity of thought and leadership that comes from having locations in Toronto, London, New York, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe. Our culture is truly one of a kind. We get stuff done, and have fun doing it! We take great pride in contributing to the communities where we live with an ever-constant eye to the global investment markets.
We are looking for a highly motivated Director to join our Products and Technology team within our Pensions group in Toronto. You will be part of a growing product development team that delivers new and existing products and services for our members, employers, stakeholders and internal users. Your background is rooted in software development, but you have come to excel in leading teams through significant shifts in business priorities and are experienced in developing and deploying strategies for new concepts, technologies and methodologies.
The Products and Technology team is an exciting new team focused on leveraging the newest technologies and approaches to deliver solutions and systems for the modern-day end user. Our primary focus and commitment is to provide real value and we encourage innovation and empower open-thinking for all our team members. We’re excited for the opportunity to have highly driven and impactful talent join our team!
As the Director, you will have overarching responsibility for a number of teams focused on both development and support, including our Web Systems team (using technologies such as React, Node.js, Contentful), our Salesforce Development team (using Lightning), our current core Pension Systems team (Powerbuilder, PLSQL), our Data Engineering team, and our Quality Assurance and Business Support team.
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for:
To succeed in this role, you have:
- Developing and executing a business-driven strategy that aligns to corporate objectives and business needs
- Providing guidance and support to the teams in delivering large-scale technology projects in an iterative manner
- Planning, coordinating, and supervising all activities related to the design of the teams’ software technology solutions
- Working closely with teams working on re-platforming our core systems, to ensure alignment
- Balancing project and development priorities, developing product roadmaps and contributing related best practices and trends to the overall strategy
- Planning, designing, deploying, maintaining and troubleshooting through all layers of the development lifecycle
- Ensuring that leading practices including but not limited to DevOps principles are implemented to support the scalability, governance, and support of the product platforms
- Working proactively with business units to identify and prioritize strategic and tactical initiatives and solutions that have the potential to create competitive advantage
- Leading teams through change and continuous improvement, effecting process improvements to increase user adoption of deployed solutions
- Conducting regular analysis regarding the effectiveness of the initiatives and making timely and thoughtful recommendations regarding changes to strategy
- Serving as a subject matter expert and the liaison between technical personnel and non-technical personnel
- Keeping abreast of emerging technology trends and developing forward-looking strategies and practices
- Providing managerial oversight and direction on development projects
- Building and developing a talented team of technology professionals within a culture of accountability, continuous improvement, results and service excellence
- Coaching, mentoring, motivating and supervising direct reports
- A University degree in the field of Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar areas
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in hands-on software engineering or architecture, working with both modern and legacy technology
- Strong relationship management and communication skills at all levels (senior leaders, external stakeholders, partners and developers)
- Compassion, ambition, and a track record of execution
- Experience delivering in both agile delivery and traditional streams
- Excellent knowledge of internet and web-based development environments, leading multiple, high availability, big data production environments including active management and/or re-engineering of the applications, systems, processes and procedures in addition to increasing service levels
- The ability to deliver pragmatic and innovative approaches that optimize processes across business strategies and technology capabilities
- Proven interpersonal skills: collaboration and communications skills (oral, written, presentation), ability to build relationships, engage and influence others, work with a diverse customer base
- Experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to inspire and coach
- The ability to be both strategic and hands-on, demonstrating technical credibility; a player/coach who is able to move from presenting a vision to actually helping execute/implement the strategy
- A high degree of agility/nimbleness and a drive for results
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, with the ability to manage teams, set priorities and manage time
- The ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience in technology strategic planning and development and project management
Founded in 1962, OMERS is one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, with $109 billion in net assets as at December 31, 2019. OMERS is a jointly-sponsored pension plan, with 1,000 participating employers ranging from large cities to local agencies, and over half a million active, deferred and retired members. OMERS members include union and non-union employees of municipalities, school boards, local boards, transit systems, electrical utilities, emergency services and children’s aid societies across Ontario. Contributions to the Plan are funded equally by members and employers. OMERS teams work in Toronto, London, New York, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe – serving members and employers and originating and managing a diversified portfolio of high-quality investments in public markets, private equity, infrastructure and real estate. OMERS is committed to having a workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At OMERS inclusion and diversity means belonging. How we create a sense of belonging is through our employees and our vast network of Employee Resource Groups. Whether you are passionate about gender, pride, or visible minorities, we have groups that are focused on making a difference in all of our lives.