St. Joseph the Worker Parish
1100 Mary Street North, Oshawa, ON L1G 5G8
(Full time - 35 hours per week)
St. Joseph the Worker Parish is seeking a full-time Office Manager to look after the efficient running of the front office. This position is responsible for providing a full range of secretarial and related office services for the pastoral team. Being the initial window to the parish as a whole, it is crucial that the Office Manager have a welcoming and cheerful disposition and handle all visitor and telephone requests politely.
- Provide secretarial assistance to the Pastor and various Parish Ministries, as required.
- Courteously greet visitors and walk-in traffic, and schedule appointments when necessary.
- Answer telephone calls in a professional manner and appropriately respond to inquiries or redirect calls, exercising great respect for discretion and confidentiality.
- Oversee the timely opening and secure closing of the office and adoration chapel each day.
- Check general delivery mailbox and forward voicemails, as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Receive and appropriately distribute mail and deliveries.
- Provide assistance to the needy who phone or come to the parish office by referring them to St. Vincent de Paul Society.
- Handle requests for Mass cards, baptismal certificates, donation envelopes and maintain a record of Mass intentions along with a reconciliation of related Mass stipends.
- Ensure a sufficient inventory of Mass cards.
- Prepare Sunday Mass binders - i.e. announcements/prayers of the faithful, sick and deceased.
- Prepare content for weekly bulletin and submit to publisher on a timely basis each week and upload to the parish’s website.
- Ensure regular updates to the parish website are forwarded to the webmaster.
- Manage the fax machine and photocopier and ensure both are stocked with paper and toner.
- Prepare bulk mailings for tax receipts, as needed, using mail merge.
- Create labels and envelopes.
- Coordinate scheduling of weddings, funerals, baptisms, hall rentals, First Communion, Confirmation, local schools and other events – including liaising with musicians, Eucharistic Ministers, funeral homes and families, when necessary.
- Maintain office manual and electronic record keeping and filing systems.
- Register new parishioners in a timely manner and ensure that membership records/donation envelope system, etc. is updated on a regular basis.
- Ensure that a sufficient stock of parishioner registration forms and PAG forms is maintained in the parish office and sacristy.
- Organize, file and update all sacramental records and other documents – i.e. prepare all registration forms; and issue Baptism, Confirmation, First Communion and Marriage certificates.
- Maintain records for all weddings, baptisms, funerals as well as for those who receive First Communion and Confirmation; and send wedding and confirmation notifications to churches where persons have been baptized.
- Maintain computerized and parish sacramental registers.
- Organize, prepare and schedule the annual distribution of donation envelope boxes.
- Put up posters and advertisements on all bulletin boards, as necessary.
- Input weekly donations into Parish Tools on a weekly basis
- Perform weekly backups of computer system.
- Maintain parish archives in accordance with Archdiocesan policies and procedures
- Organize and maintain schedule and stipends for visiting priests.
- Monitor and maintain office and other parish supplies.
- Manage evening staff and provide sufficient tasks for them to complete.
- Other duties, as required.
- College or university education and/or equivalent related experience.
- Minimum of three to five years of related work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Excel, Word & Publisher.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, meet deadlines and multitask.
- Understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of parish operations and the Catholic Church.
- Experience in computerized accounting is an asset.
- Knowledge of Quick Books and Parish Tools 4 software is an asset.
- A criminal background check will be required of the successful applicant.
Those wishing to be considered should submit their resume and cover letter in MS Word format to Rev. Eric Mah. Deadline for receipt of applications is Fri. Dec. 11, 2020. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Archdiocese of Toronto provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If contacted for an interview, applicants should make any accommodation needs known at that time.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent