Schedule Monday-Friday; 35 hrs/wk
Education Level Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field
Career Level Requires 3 years of relevant experience
The Student Success Centre provides support for students from the moment they accept their offer of admission, up until ten years after graduation. This includes academic, personal and professional growth of our students and alumni
The focus of this position is to work with employers from a business development perspective. This includes growing and developing a client database through building client relationships, cold calling and client/prospect visits. Key areas of development will be to identify, develop, and cultivate relationships with employer champions of inclusivity in the business and alumni community to place students/alumni in desired work places. The successful candidate will need to have knowledge of the full recruitment cycle as well as knowledge of government programs and community resources that support wage subsidies and other funding opportunities in the EDI space. In addition, this position will support employers with job descriptions as well as ways to promote, advertise and recruit at McMaster.
The Relationship Manager is responsible for identifying, developing and cultivating employer relationships in the business community to present employment opportunities for undergraduate students. Develops and delivers career development services for undergraduate students including workshop design and facilitation, one-on-one coaching, and employer related events and activities. Participates in the design and delivery of the all aspects of the internship program for undergraduate students including workshops, coaching, site visits and resource materials.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Probe for information from employer partners to understand recruitment needs and develop employer relationships to understand current and potential resourcing needs of organizations.
- Present and market programs to industry partners and encourage them to provide employment opportunities to undergraduate students.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with alumni to gain insight into their careers and determine whether partnership opportunities exist from a recruitment or student development perspective.
- Develop and deliver a career development course for undergraduate students wishing to pursue an internship.
- Critique student resumes, cover letters and conduct mock interviews for undergraduate students.
- Conduct end of term and back to campus meetings for exiting and returning undergraduate internship students.
- Coach and advise students on career development skills and processes such as resume writing, interviewing skills, networking and negotiating employment offers.
- Create and update resource materials to complement the workshops and development programs offered to students.
- Schedule and conduct internship site visits with students who are on work placements.
- Analyze market research trends.
- Attend employer events and activities such as employer information sessions, panel discussions and student club functions.
- Assess and offer recommendations for student club events.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field.
Requires 3 years of relevant experience. Valid driver's license required.
Preference for experience as a job developer or recruiter. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience developing diversity and inclusion opportunities.
Experience working with employers regarding accommodation and disclosure in the workplace
Knowledge of AODA policy and the Employment Standards Act including diveristy and inclusion
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.