JOB POSTING: 2019-006
JOB TITLE: Vice President, Finance
COMPANY: Coulson Aircrane Ltd.
REPORTS TO: CFO, Coulson Aircrane Ltd.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
At Coulson, we know that our employees are our strongest asset. Guided by a successful past and a long-term innovative vision for growth, our future success will be driven by our people and our strategic approach to our work.
Aircraft fire fighting and developing new industrial technologies are much more than pieces of metal and components; we at Coulson are determined to make a difference saving lives and homes. In addition, we strive to improve the environment we share globally.
Family owned and operated since 1960, the Coulson Group of Companies began with Forestry in British Columbia. During the 1990s, Coulson expanded into Aviation and, led by a pioneering management team, we have become one of the foremost Aviation Fire Fighting Companies in the world. We operate in the USA and Australia, and we expect to expand to other countries around the world.
In addition to Aviation, Coulson has pursued other endeavours, the most recent of which has been Coulson Ice Blast, an industrial cleaning technology that has applications in many industries. In fact, Coulson was recently recognized with awards for our ground-breaking technology.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are currently seeking an experienced Controller with strong leadership qualities. Reporting to the Group CFO, the Business Controller will be responsible for monitoring the financial performance of the aviation business, including reporting, budgeting, forecasting and performance analysis. The position will also be responsible for internal controls, systems improvements and further development of financial planning processes.
The ideal candidate is a detail oriented, focused, self-starter who takes charge, collaborates, and makes valuable input, contributing to a senior level decision-making team.
This position is based on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities comply with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Provide advice, guidance, and recommendations regarding accounting matters.
- Ensure internal financial statement deadlines are met.
- Review and streamline financial statements preparation process.
- Prepare, analyse, and present monthly, quarterly, and annual operating results for each department / division of Coulson Aviation.
- Assist CFO with the implementation and maintenance of budgeting and forecasting processes as required (month to yearly).
- Work with Operations to define, analyze, and measure current processes to improve financial performance.
- Support the year-end audit process.
- Professionally manage external stakeholders such as accountants, lawyers, CRA.
- Maintain professional relationships with internal stakeholders by answering emails and phones calls within agreed timeframes, considering priorities and ensuring stakeholders know the status of outstanding requests.
- Enforce company policy for internal controls, revenue recognition, and other processes.
- Take on additional related responsibilities and special projects as required.
- CPA designation with a minimum of 5+ years’ management/controllership experience.
- Strong business acumen with a solid understanding of financial planning and control, risk management, and cash management.
- Strong analytical problem solving, planning, and project management skills.
- Able to proactively identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Previous management and operational costing experience are considered assets.
- Proven experience providing accurate and timely processing of monthly financial data.
- Verified leadership background with the ability to communicate financial information and influence positive change.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft products.
- Other related duties may be assigned as required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume with a cover letter outlining your experience and salary expectations to jobs @ coulsongroup . com. Please quote "2019-006 - Vice President, Finance" in the Subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In addition to a competitive salary, Coulson provides excellent benefits as part of its Total Compensation Package. These include medical and dental benefits, pension, and the possibility for bonuses. Moreover, Coulson Group values and strongly encourages its employees to maintain a positive Work-Life Balance, creating an environment that champions creativity and autonomy.
We are proud of our team and encourage a respectful workplace where everyone is treated with dignity and all ideas are welcome. Moreover, we support growth within the company and provide opportunities for advancement.
We support diversity, equity and a workplace that is free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any element of the competition process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs
Port Alberni is a jewel nestled in the Alberni Valley, offering many outdoor activities during your down time, including water sports, camping, hiking, snowshoeing, and others. With lakes, the Inlet, and mountains all around, you will never run out of things to do here. There is a movie theatre that is currently undergoing renovations, and many shops owned and operated by local residents. You will also find some of the most delicious seafood right here in town at one of our many local restaurants.
If you’re looking for a quick weekend getaway, Tofino and Ucluelet are a mere two-hour drive West of town. Or, if you’re not looking for waves, Nanaimo is only an hour East, while Victoria is less than three hours South. Both offer big city shopping opportunities in addition to a wide variety of arts, entertainment, dining, and cultural activities. The Comox Valley is also less than two hours Northeast of the Valley, offering mountain biking, skiing, caving, and other outdoor activities. And let’s not forget those adorable goats on the roof at Coombs!
Centrally located, Port Alberni offers you the benefits of a small town – affordable real estate, anyone? – with the ability to play outside and experience big city life nearby.
Job Type: Full-time
- management / controllership: 5 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Vancouver, BC (Required)
- CPA (Required)
- English (Preferred)